45: The past that shaped us

The fire was burning bright as the Alpha sat down on the couch, the familiar wooden wolf figure laying on his hands. He had been debating on what to do for a few hours, now. Twirling the wolf in his hands as his mind rambled with all sorts of plans.

First, the contract is canceled, then, the dream and, finally, he shows up in his territory. Everything seemed to be connecting to him. As if all of this was a sign that the time had come for him to strike.

The scar was more than enough to let him know it was actually him, the one that had stepped into his territory. However, he couldn't understand... Why was he here? What did he want from this place? Why coming back after all those years of dodging his wrath?

He knew he wasn't stupid. There was no way he would come back to the exact place he hated. And neither would he come here unprepared for battle. So, why come here? And why did the dream resurface just as they entered that place?

"Is it happening, again?"

The Alpha's eyes opened in realization. Quickly, he got up from the couch and screamed for Arne. The wolf rushed inside, confused at his alpha alarmed state. The said Alpha, was opening and closing drawers in his office, desperately looking for something that Arne knew nothing about. Then, he found it. Triumphally pulling from the drawer a black key, the Alpha slightly smirked.

"We need to go back to my father's cabin" The Alpha rapidly said as he grabbed his jacket from the chair. "Only me and you. Do you still remember where it is?"

Arne nodded his head. How could he forget that place? That eerie cabin hidden in the forest. The Alpha's father had spent there most of his days before he took over. Especially, during the persecutions. He spent days there plotting with that old creepy lady, ways to stop that prophecy from happening. Which, in Arne's opinion, was all bullsh*t. Yes, the Alpha's father had been right about that boy's birth and how it would bring death to the pack. But that had been it. After years of searching for that girl, no one found her. Instead he died by the hands of one of the prophesized.

"Why are we going there, Alpha?"

"I need to retrieve something from my father's belongings"

"What is it?"

"A map"

"A map?" Arne looked around the room, all sorts of maps were already hanging on the walls or either carefully stored. "A specific one?"

"Yes, one that is a secret"

The Alpha stared at the confused Arne that was standing in the middle of the office. He sighed, loudly.

"Before we took over this territory, Arne. This area belonged to another pack. They lived hidden in the mountain and my father's grandfather killed all of them." The Alpha took a deep breath as he sat down on the couch and picked up the fallen wooden wolf. "Many years after they were killed, my father was told a prophecy. And that place, was related to it. So, since the prophecy is back, I'm pretty sure our intruders are heading there"

"What is there that is so important to them?"

Arne asked, growing curious as he heard this story that no one knew about. The Alpha gave him a look, a stern one. Silently telling him to keep, whatever he was about to hear, a secret.

"It's a forest that is said to be magical. A forest created by the moon goddess herself to protect her children. The True Alphas and their mates." At that moment, Arne understood why his Alpha was agitated. "The first of their kind was born there and that's where their pack used to reside, well, of course until my grandfather killed them all."