Made for it

"So how often do we do these bonfire parties?" I whisper in Leah's ear as we walk out towards the blazing fire. Leah lets out a snort.

"Apparently all the time. But my mom said this time Billy's gonna tell the tribe's story. Like a sort of initiation for all the newer pack members."

Now I'm really excited. I've heard the stories before from Uncle Harry, but not since I became a wolf and knew they were real. Leah and I take a seat beside Paul and Jared. I try to jack a hotdog from the pile they have between them, but my hand is swatted away by Jared.

"Get your own hotdog women!" He declares.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know all 30 of these were for you!" I sass back, knocking him over and swiping one while he's down.

Leah nudges me and I grab a hotdog for her thinking that's what she wants, but when she doesn't take it from me I look and see her gaze fixed on something. Or someone. Jacob has come strolling in with none other than Bella Swan. I start to move towards her in the hopes of getting rid of her; she already controls most of our lives at this point, she has no right to be here too. This is sacred stuff. I'm stopped by a sharp look from Sam.

"I told Jake he could bring her. Sit your ass back down little one."

I shuffle backwards and take a seat between Paul's legs. Paul leans down and plants a kiss on the top of my head. I feel his chest rumble as he laughs.

"Just listen to the story, feisty." And I'm swept away by the deep majesty of Billy Blacks voice.

The following weeks pass pretty uneventfully. We patrol, we eat some delicious meal that Emily and I make, we sit outside Bella's window all night, we repeat. The only out of the ordinary thing is when I'm patrolling with Jake one night and I see in his thoughts that Bella broke her hand punching him in his face. He won't be living that one down for a while. My new nickname for him is hardhead. It's then that he decides to ask me to come with him to Bella's graduation party. When I immediately refuse, he gives me massive puppy dog eyes and says he needs me for moral support, or to defend him in case Bella attacks again.

That's how I find myself climbing the steps of the Cullen's house, hairs standing on end at being in their home. Teenagers are crowding every inch of the place, dancing and having a good time. A part of me longs to join them and celebrate my nearing graduation, but I can't let me guard down with vampire stench in the air. Jacob's spotted Bella and we make our way through the crowd to her.

"What are you doing here?" She snaps.

"You invited me, remember?" Jake says calmly.

"Was my right hook too subtle for you? That was me uninviting you." She says bitterly.

I let out a snort at this and give Bella an uncommon smile, earning a smile back. "Serves him right. He was being a total ass."

"Thanks Luce, I was getting to that. I am really sorry though Bella. But I brought you something. A graduation present. Made it myself" At this, Jacob reaches in his pocket and pulls out a small hand carved russet wolf. It's a really sweet gesture.

"Wow, you made this? It's really pretty. Thanks." Bella then loses her focus and with an "I'll be right back" Walks away from us.

"Well isn't she a hoot." I mumble.

She joins the fortune teller leech on the stairs and the panicked look on her face calls to the protectors in us. Needing to know where the danger lies, we move to catch up to them.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"You're not going to Seattle?" Bella asks.

"No. They're coming here."

We're ushered into a private room on the top floor of the house. The blonde one who seems to be in charge introduces himself as Carlisle and the other two as Alice and Jasper.

"They'll be here in four days." Alice says.

"This could turn into a bloodbath." Carlisle mumbles, worried for his family.

"Who's behind it?" Edwards directs to Alice.

"I didn't see anyone I recognized... maybe one." Alice thinks back to her vision.

Recognition springs across Edwards' face as he sees into her mind. "I know his face. He's local. Riley Biers. He didn't start this."

"Whoever did's staying out of the action." Alice exclaims.

"He must be playing with the blind spots in your vision." Carlisle suggests.

"Either way, the army's coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town."

They've been bantering back and forth so quickly that I was struggling to keep up, but that certainly got my attention.

"Excuse me?" I blurt out just as Jacob asks "Hold up, what damn army?"

Carlisle explains that an army of newborn vampires is coming after Bella. I have never been so nervous while also being so excited. This is what we're made for man. Jacob tells Bella exactly that, clearly trying to get a rise out of her.

"Look at us, getting along. This is what you wanted, remember?"

I look at Bella with a glint of mischief in my eye.

"This is gonna be fun."