Chapter 7: Florida

"OH, the place looks a little, I don't know dusty, perhaps?" I say while swiping my finger above the fake fireplace.
      "Don't listen to her, honey. I think it looks ummm perfect. Yes, perfect!" My mom says giving me a look that says "Shut up, you're making him feel bad."
      "Sure, if that's what we're calling it." Both of them look at me and smile.
      "Have you talked to Jason, since we left the house?" My mom says looking into the empty room in which my mom has claimed mine.
     "Um, no. We both need space. Plus, he likes Kitty better and that's all there is to it." The thought of him makes me want to cry.
      "You and I both know that's a lie. That boy has had a crush on you since day one." She says laughing.
     "What do you mean?" I look up from my phone.
     "Hannah, sweetie. When you and your dad were drinking smoothies in the yard, he was up on that fence staring at you. Now that I think of it, he came inside to get one of your grandma's cookies and he came up to me and whispered in my ear, 'Your daughter is very pretty ma'am.' I knew he was in love when I saw you and him running around, playing superhero while holding hands. As he got older, obviously, the hints were harder to see but I knew for a fact they were still there. Always will be."
     "What about Kitty?" I ask feeling dumb.
     "Sweetheart, Kitty is just someone he met and semi- fell in love with. Yea, he might love her, but probably not as much as he loves you." The sound of this makes my heart swell. I guess I always knew but still Kitty. Kitty-
     Kitty556 has just posted a new picture on Instagram: Caption: Jason just asked me to the dance. I said yes! Man, I love him!!
Private message from Kitty556: Miss you, girl! Jason said, well he said he doesn't want to talk about you anymore. But I'm guessing that he's just joking. Maybe we can come before school starts and all three of us can hang out! Love you bunches!
     "SEE..." I turn my phone over and show her the messages. "It's people like Kitty who make me rethink leaving him in the house like that. And bringing up the smoothies. How he must of felt? No, he likes Kitty."
     "Yes, he might like Kitty. But what will happen when Kitty doesn't like him?" My mom stands up and shrugs her shoulders.
     "I guess-" This makes me question everything.
     "Bye, Hannah." She starts walking out. "Also, school starts next week."
     "WHAT?" I yell, my eyes huge from the news.
     "Florida's public schools start in late June, sorry kid." She smiles as she walks out. Great, another thing to add to my long list of things to stress about.