Chapter Twenty-eight

Night had fully descended, bringing along all of its eerie shadows that chased away any remaining traces of the bright, stifling day.

The little town, which had been so wound up during the light of day, was silent and empty at night. Not a single were-door was open.

Likely, the townsfolk had heard the horrible encounter in the main house and wanted to steer clear. No doubt they'd gather tomorrow and rumors would fly. Like any other group of persons, gossip would certainly be a pass-time for the werewolves. Even before the break of dawn, they'd build their own conclusions. By then, Leon, Hector, and I would be gone. In the townsfolk version of events, I will have attacked the good king and his brother, then fled in the night with the king's remains to do some strange Spellbinder voodoo on it.

Upon stepping out of the main house, I felt a chill on my bare shoulders from the cool night air. The weather wasn't frigid, yet it was enough of a temperature drop that it sent a tremor of shock through my limbs. The places where wolf fur covered my skin were still toasty.

Before I had time to adjust to the temperature, more fur was draped over my shoulders. A cloak just like Leon's. He had retrieved it from inside before exiting with Hector and myself, then covered me with it in passing. He looked back and shot me a coy smile before saying, "This way."

He walked with incredibly smooth and swift strides, a feat almost unbelievable to my eyes considering I'd just seen him nearly torn in half. But I had also watched the magic of Hector's blood mend his bones, repair his organs, bind his ripped muscles, then miraculously smooth his mangled flesh until not even a faint scar remained.

Leon stopped at a sizable building and, with a loud clink, slid back a wide wooden door. He disappeared inside, followed by Hector. I gave an unsure glimpse around. A woman holding a baby at her shoulder peered out of a pair of sheer curtains, and two young children, whose gender was unclear, watched from another house's window. Other than that, all was still, as though it were a ghost town. I suppose an assassination attempt on the king will frighten even werewolves into silence, at least for one night.

"Whoa!" Hector exclaimed from inside the building.

It wasn't difficult to find the source of his shock. It took up almost the entire room. A shiny red car.

Guys will be guys, I thought with a shrug.

"What year is this?" Hector asked.

"Two-thousand thirty-six model. Ford Mustang," Leon said lovingly. "It was my grandfather's. Still purrs like a kitten."

"I'll bet," Hector said with no trace of sarcasm in his voice at all. He was enthralled by the machine. He ran a hand down the glossy ruby side. "This is the first solar powered model, right?"

"Sure is," Leon said. "She's been soaking in the sky-roof all day." He indicated the clear, clean glass covering the roof. It struck me that it was likely the cleanest window in this place. "We've got about three hours worth of charge for tonight, but she'll run all day like nobody's business."

"Sweet. I had a nineteen seventy-eight gas powered model myself. That was back in the nineties. Crashed it soon after I got turned." Hector looked up and shrugged. "I went through a dare devil stage. Still one of my biggest regrets, though. Anyway. . .shotgun!"

Leon's expression morphed into concern and he looked around as though there was danger. "Where?"

"Oh, no," Hector replied, "it's just an old figure of speech. . ."

•••

Hector was dead. We'd sealed him up in the trunk, even though the day wasn't as sunny as usual. Thick raindrops half the size of golf balls pounded against the roof and splattered on the windshield with ferocious velocity. The wipers wiped, but the rain was persistent. I felt as if I was looking through a sheet of water rather than glass.

"Do you like the rain?" Leon said,

My concentration to see the road in front of us through the curtain of water was broken.

"Sometimes. I used to wonder what it felt like."

"You've never felt rain?" Leon was doubtful. I could read it in his expression.

"Living in the superior compounds kind of hinders your experiences," I said awkwardly.

That sure wiped the doubt from his face. He stared out the window silently. He could have been imagining being locked away inside the compound for all I knew.

"I love the rain," he said finally, and he stopped the car.

"What are you doing?"

He didn't answer my question, but grinned a mouth full of straight teeth that were sharper than a human's and said, "come on."

He got out of the car, trudged to my side, opened the door, and offered me his hand. Rain pelted him, but he didn't seem to mind. Something about the way the liquid made his toned muscles glisten made my tummy leap. I covered my discomfort with a grin and took his hand.

As Leon lifted me from the shelter of the vehicle, he was also drawing me nearer to him - something I was suddenly very aware of. Being alpha sure leaves its mark. An ancient power radiated from him like static electricity. I felt the charge of it through my hand, but before I could pull away, he had me locked in those mystical yellow eyes.

The spell broke abruptly, however, as he tapped me on the nose with the fingertip of his free hand and declared, "You're it."