Chapter Twenty-nine

"Oh, you're on," I said.

The curious jolt I'd felt when touching the king of werewolves fizzled out quickly. I took off after him, leaping over thick grass, dodging rough, low-hanging branches. Pure adrenaline was surging through every part of me, and it felt amazing. I was as unhinged as the sky that opened up to spill its giant rain drops. The rain splashed against my skin and the ground around me, urging me forward faster.

Trees were sparse on our little playground, but the ones that were there were big around as merry-go-rounds, and Leon zipped from cover to cover fluidly. It was so impossible to keep up - even with my boost of adrenaline - that eventually I had to stop and lean against a tree, clutching my knotted side.

"Any chance Spellbinders can tap into some sort of speed spell?" I called out.

"No, but you need one. You're slow," he teased from behind a nearby sycamore.

My breathing was heavy and my heart pumped hard, but the raindrops were cooling my skin.

"Ha-ha," I said. "Keep running. When you're good and tired, I'll catch you."

On the last few words, I hopped to the tree I last heard him from. By the time I went around, he'd silently moved on. Astonished at his speed and agility, I grinned.

"Tired? Not likely, darling," he said from the cover of another tree. "You may be able to lure me in with your immaculate beauty. Until you play that card, however, I'm still waiting."

"You'll slip up," I said, determined to ignore the way his casual compliment made my cheeks warm and my tummy flip.

I dashed over to his new spot. When I circled the tree he was standing there, peeking around the other side. I rushed forward, arm extended, and slid gracelessly on a gooey patch of mud.

I managed to grasp the damp furs covering his waist as I went down, and he came along. We landed in a bundle of leaves and mud. I was almost embarrassed, but when I saw the mighty wolf king with mud smeared on his sharp nose, I giggled.

"You have a little mud." I pointed at my own nose to indicate where he should wipe his.

"Oh, here?" he said and swiped mud on my nose to match.

I laughed, pushing his hand back. I was still laughing when he suddenly went rigid. Every muscle tightened and alarm etched his strong features.

"We're not alone," he whispered.

My breath caught. The confession startled me, but most of all, it frightened me.

"Superior vamps? Deaders?" I whispered, trying to control my quickening heartbeat.

He shook his head in answer.

If not those things then what? I wondered, but I kept silent and let him listen.

Every second that passed felt like an eternity. I was frozen in a state of panic, with a lump in my throat and a weight in my gut.

"The car!" he said at last.

As he scooped me up, he nearly knocked my breath out by pulling me close so roughly. There was no time to complain, however. My main concern was suddenly on Hector - alone, dead, in the trunk.

I thought Leon was fast when we were playing, but I soon realized that he'd been holding back. He was as swift as a fierce breeze. Nearly as fast as Hector. Dirt flew around us as though we'd been caught in a dirt version of a sandstorm. All I could hear was the howl of the wind until he skidded to a stop near the car.

Not a soul was in sight, but they had been there. Doors were open, our supplies strewn about carelessly.

As soon as he let go, I tumbled into the trunk, still gaining balance. It was sealed tight, but could I be sure? I ran my hands along it. Cold, smooth metal. If felt so much icy, hard metal in my life- I needed in there.

"Open," I said hastily.

Nothing happened. The lock mechanism looked like a tiny black card and I didn't understand it at all. I only knew it was keeping me from the knowledge that Hector was okay, or he wasn't, and the suspense was killing me. My panic was breaking free, and I pounded the trunk with open palms.

"Open it!" I said.

Leon pulled my hands away in a vice like grip.

"No," he said firmly.

"What if he's gone? What if they hurt him? Open it!"

"Calm down. Think clearly, Harper," he said soothingly. "From the look of it, they're not very tidy. Do you think they'd shut this back and leave everything else open?"

He had pulled me into him, while I stared at the shut trunk. As his logic sank in, my insanity seemed to subside. As my pulse slowed, he continued.

"It's daylight. If we open that even a smidgen, it'll dust him."

"D-dust?"

"Yes. It's what happens when a vampire dies."

Of course. Sun rays didn't only kill them and leave them vulnerable throughout the day, but also obliterated them. What had I been thinking? I wasn't willing to take that risk.

Leon must have sensed my resolve, because he eased away. After circling the car with his head low, he faced me.

"They've flattened the tires. I don't know if-" he leaned inside the car "The damage control isn't working."

He inspected the car again, this time the upper part as well.

"Damn!" he cursed.

"What?"

"They've taken the solar panels as well."

He kicked a broken branch on the ground and it went flying, shattering to splinters when it hit a tree trunk.

"What do we do?" I asked.

His eyes blazed. Both hands clenched at his sides. The wolf king aura was stronger than ever before, almost as if it were pulsing around him.

"We get them back," he said, determined.