Chapter Fifteen

A silky caress along the length of my arm stirred me. I was in the state of being awake, but unwilling to be awake at the time. My mind, overwhelmed by the previous night's activities, was trying to grasp onto the sleep it needed.

"Harper, we have to get started while we have the night," Hector said softly.

"Hmmn. I know," I groaned.

I snuggled back and sunk into the cool flesh behind me. The entire length of cool flesh... My eyes popped open as if I'd been smacked awake, and I rolled over, burying my face in the plump pillows.

"You're naked," I noted, my voice muffled.

"Oh, yeah. Well, my clothes were wet weren't they?" he mused.

"Yeah, but I didn't expect. . ."

"Does it bother you because you're modest, or does it bother you because you're naughty?" he teased.

"You stop that, Mister. Just because I lose control and kiss you from time to time doesn't mean I'm ready to jump into bed naked with you."

"But you aren't naked. I am. Do you want to be?"

Normally, I would be angry, but I'd gotten used to his foul little jokes. He was just being himself. I sat up wiping my face and brushing back my wild, red mane with my fingers.

"What's the plan?" I asked casually.

"Straight to it, then," he said with a nod. "Well, there's sort of something I have to tell you first. . ."

I waited for him to continue, but he'd gone rigid.

"Hec-" I started.

"Shh." He wasn't looking at me, but beyond me with a sort of far off expression.

In a flash, he was dressed. I hardly saw a single movement.

"We have to go. I let you sleep too long. I can hear them. They're fighting deaders," he hissed. "There are too many of them, I might not win . . ."

I jumped straight up, my heart racing.

"They'll catch us-"

"They don't know where we are yet, but they're looking. They'll eventually pick up the trail. Come on."

Hector took my hand and led me to the back door. Outside, all was silent. The only sound that might have given us away was my living, beating heart. My clumsy human steps on the ground would also be a giveaway, so he lifted me and we fled silently.

To my mild discomfort, we went through water again. This time, I was imagining a rotting hand shooting up out of the depths to drag me down, but - much to my relief - it didn't happen. Finally, we slowed after what felt like an hour. He let me slip from his arms.

"We're almost there. Listen, there's something I should tell you-" Hector started.

A shrill whistle sounded out, interrupting him. I had't had much experience with the wild, but I had a feeling it wasn't a normal sound to be heard in the middle of nowhere. I shot him a questioning look.

"It's Wren," he said, as if a Wren were a troublesome thing.

Just then a person called out, "'Bout time! We thought you were a goner."

He emerged from a thicket of tall weeds. A mahogany-haired youth of perhaps fifteen. He was very slim, to the point that it made his teeth appear very large, and he was smiling wide.

"You know me, I like to make a memorable entrance," Hector returned the smile, patting the boy on his shoulder.

"Better late than never," Wren said. "Who's this? You have to take a hostage?"