Chapter 10

Waji Khan, the father of the girl he abandoned, was sitting on his bed with his wife beside him.

He remembered the time when his daughter was born and he held her first time, he felt like he achieved the most exalted prize but due to his intense love for his wife, he had to bowed down, he had to sacrifice the little girl.

"Sameena, Mehmel ki Shaddi ko aik mahina hogaya ha." His wife just nodded in the response as her entire focus was on her phone.

(Sameena, it's been one month since Mehmel's wedding.)

"Muja yaad ha jab abba ki wafat kay baad ma jab ghar gya tha kaisa ro-ro kay muja keh rai thi ka 'Baba muja sath le jayain ma tang nai karun gi bas muja sath lejain ma bilkul bhi mummy ko tang nahi karun gi!" His eyes welled up with tears remembering the little crying and pleading him to take her with him.

(I still remember when I went home after father's death, she was crying and telling me "baba take me with you, i will not disturb you, just take me with you I wil also not disturb mummy")

His wife stilled for a moment and looked at him. "Ab apko kiu yaad araha ha yeh sab." Waji shook his head, he was disappointment and looked away.

(Why you're you remembering all this now.)

"Kitnay beyhiss maa baap hain hum, beti jaisi Rehmat ko humna thokraya. Mehmel to humain maff karday gi lekin Allah nai maff karay ga humko, jo zulm humnay uss masoom jaan per kia ha"
His wife looked at him with narrowed eyes and replied, "you know how much important my career was and is for me an-" Waji interrupted her and replied, "pechlay kitnay salon sa ma yahi sun raha hun kya hojata sameena agar hum uss bachi ko le atay kiya hojata agar wo apnay maa baap kay saye may palti, muja apnay app sa ghin arahi ha ma apni beti ki ankhon ma nahi deikh sakta." He yelled at his wife, which rarely ever happened.

(How insensitive parents are we, we didn't take about daughter which was a blessing. Mehmel will forgive us but Allah won't give us for the cruelty which we did in the innocent soul)

(For many years I have been listening to this, what would have happened if we bought that child with us, what would have happened if she grew in his father's shadow, I feel terrible I can't even look into my own daughter's eyes)

"Tum ko maloom ha ka ma kiu nahi gaya uski shaddi pey kiun ke meray sath tum nahi thi wo massom larki humesha tumhari rah dekhti ha aur uski zindagi ka itna bary moqay may main phir uski ankhon ma wo bebassi nahi dekhna chata tha." Saying that loudly, he left his room, leaving his wife in disbelief.

(Do you you know why I didn't go to her wedding because you weren't with me, that innocent girl always waits for you and at such a big event of her life, I couldn't see the disappointment in her eyes.)

*******

It's been a month since their wedding, they shifted to Islamabad right after the valima.

Mehmel was still adjusting to her new life in the so-called house, which was a freaking mansion.

She was still shy and quiet around him, he was the most genuine, honest, and rational man anyone could ask.

Never he imposes anything on her and gave her free will of everything. Living with him made her finally feel alive, she doesn't feel like she was trapped in some tiny place, she was finally breathing freely without any fear.

"Mehmel! Doodh hatm hogaya ha?" Mehmel's eyes became wide as she remembered that she forgets to buy Milk from the groceries.

(Mehmel! Is the milk finished?)

"Woh Mujha yaad nahi raha lana." How could she forget it knowing how much he loved his 'raat ki chai' and couldn't even sleep without having it.
She was scolding her self in her head.

(I forgot to bring it.)

"Aj to waisa bhi strike thi, stores bhi band hogaye hongay." Mehmel voiced her thoughts and looked at him with puppy eyes.

(It was strike today, the stores would most likely be closed.)

As he opened his mouth she interrupted him saying, "aisa karain neighbors sa ley ain." She looked at him with hopeful eyes and was proud of her idea.

(You can ask from neighbors.)

"Mehmel kya ma acha lago ka doodh mangta hua ma waqeel hun, socho log kiya sochain gay key ma ghar ghar jaky doodh mangta hun?"

(Mehmel would I look good asking for milk from people, I'm a lawyer, what would people think that I go ask for milk from homes.)

Mehmel hid her smile as he stared at her with a poker face but not having any control she burst out in fits of laughter.

"Astagfirullah!" He muttered under his breath.

"Boht hi zalim biwi Allah nay muja di hai, shohar ki bebasi pe hassnay wali."
He scoffed and hunched on the sofa in the living area.

(God gave me a very harsh wife who laughs at her husband's misery.)

"Apna Nutella lana to nahi bhooli hogi hai na? zaheer ha wo qasay bholo gi, bholo gi to tum doodh jis ko tumharay becahry shohar ko itni zarorart ha."

(You didn't not forget to bring your Nutella? of course, why would you forget, instead  you will forget the milk that your innocent husband needs so much.)

She felt guilty now for forgetting the milk.

"Acha to ma mang lati hun doodh." He facepalmed himself and stared at her with amusement.

(Well, I'll ask for milk.)

"Han theek ha jao jiski galti ha usi ko saza milini chaiya."

(Yeah, that's right the punishment should be given to one who has done the mistake)

After five minutes, she was standing in front of her neighbor's house. She hoped that someone considerate open the door so that she wouldn't get embarrassed.

Yazan hide behind the tree giving her no support, she could hear him saying "tumsay na ho paye ga." but she was determined and decided to do it.

(You can't do it.)

A boy around eight or nine opened the door and as Mehmel opened her mouth to speak, he looked at her angrily and banged the door in her face, and her husband burst into a laughing fit seeing this.

He came forward, putting his hand on her shoulder he said. "Meri massom biwi."

(My innocent wife.)

And for the rest of the night, he made fun of her which irritated her but internally she enjoyed it as much as him.

For the first time that night, Yazan Ibrahim Khan slept peacefully without drinking his chai as his sweet wife was beside him.