chapter 5

I didn't want to go with him, but I had no choice. I got ready and took a deep breath and went out of my room.

"Kaha ja rahi ho itni Subha?" Zarpash Chachi interrogated me.

(Where are you going this early in the morning?)

"Chachi aj akhari exam ha wo dainay ja rai hun."

(Auntie, it my last exam today.)

"Acha to iska Matlab ab tum university nai jao gi?" She questioned me with confusion.

(Oh, that's means will not go to university from now on?)

"Nahi Chachi abi aik semester aur ha." she rolled her eyes, "tum aur tumhary semester." As she said it, a loud clearing of the throat was heard from behind her.

(No Auntie, one semester is still left)

(You and your semesters!)

"Yazan beta, Kuch chaiya tha?" Her tone changed completely while talking to him.

(Yazan dear, you wanted something?)

"Nahi, Mujhe Kuch kaam ha to Mehmel ko bhi rastay ma chor aon ga." He replied coldly.

(No, I had some work and thought  to drop Mehmel on the way)

Not hearing what Chachi said, he asked me to follow him, and I did.

The ride was smooth with utter silence but then I realized something. "How do you know about my university's route?"

"There's a thing called Google maps." not glancing at me he answered.

Before I could ask another question he spoke again. "Nani told me the name of your university." I nodded and started to pray for the exam.

After twenty minutes, we reached our destination, I mustered up the courage and said a quick thank you, and went out.

*******

My exam went well, however, I dreaded going home because of the continuous staring, taunting, and my family's harsh behavior towards me.

Yazan didn't come to pick me, probably seeing my discomfort or maybe he could have some work.

Reaching home, I wanted nothing but to sleep, but Dadi won't be pleased if I hide again in my room.

As I was passing from the living I heard a voice, and my heart dropped in the pit of my stomach.

It was the voice of my father.

Baba

It was not the time of his visit, I didn't know why he came but I instantly got excited.

He was sitting with Dadi, they were engrossed in a serious conversation. Dadi saw me first and hastily, Baba's eyes also focused on me.

"Mehmel!" I had a small smile on my face as I went towards him.

Dadi remembered some work and got up with her cane.

"Mummy nai ayi?" Is always the first question I ask him whenever he comes.
This time it was also my first concern.

(Mummy didn't come?)

"Nahi! Masroof thi! Ma bas Danneen kay Nikkah ka liya aya hun parson Nikkah honay ka baad ki flight ha." Like always he answered that she's busy, but I never stopped asking about her, never!

(No, she was busy! I just came for Daneen's wedding, my flight is day after tomorrow.)

"Yeh tumharay liya laya tha gifts hain thoray, baqiyon ko da diya hain unkay." I nodded and held the meaningless gifts.

(I bought these gifts for you, I gave others theirs.)

"Tumhari Dadi sa baat kar li ha manay parhai hatam hogi to Shaddi kardain gi woh tumhari." I lowered my eyes and again nodded at him, I always knew it would happen, it was my fate."

(I have talked to your grandma, after your graduation she will marry you off)

"Theek ha kamray ma jao thak gai hogi Mujhe bhi kaam ha kuch." He tapped my head and went away.

(Ok, go to your room you must be tired I also have some work to do)

Not caring to question anything about my life.

He never does!

Dilara came after him - eyeing my gifts, I didn't glance at them, and give them to her and went towards my room, soon the traitor tears started to fell one by one.

He never understood what I wanted, I never wanted some insignificant gifts from him instead, I wanted his love and devotion, I wanted to feel the warmth of home and most importantly, I wanted to live with them.

But as everyone tells me, I truly believed now that they did abandon me.

And they have no shame.

Hey! Please tell me how did you find it and if you have any questions feel free to raise them.
See you next time
Allah Hafiz!
Mk.