54.

I went over my deal with Carla this morning in my head several times as night approached. Just lead him on a few weeks right? What could go wrong?

The idea of it was simple enough, execution should be even simpler. I know how to listen, how to fake attention and even affection. It shouldn't be hard, but it would be a lot work for a few weeks. First few weeks meant honeymoon phase. Fingers crossed he's good in bed.

I waved and thanked the last customer who left, vaguely wondering where Lou was till he walked in the door five minutes later.

"Good evening, Ryleigh. Chilly out there." He jerked a thumb over his shoulder.

"Not that you feel it." I replied dryly, turning to look at him over my shoulder and throw him a smile. "Evening."

He smiled back, nodding at me before stopping in the middle of the bar. He tilted his head to site, sniffing loudly and frowning. "You smell of a man."

I frowned back, raising my hand to sniff my wrist before dropping it to pinch my shirt and do the same. "Uh... no?"

"Yes, you do." He sniffed again, resuming his stride towards the counter. He waved his hand, I saw the sign flip to 'Closed' behind him and the night outside darken. "Were you with someone today?"

"Yes. I met up with a friend and-" I cut myself off. "Right! She gave me her boyfriend's hoodie to wear."

"It's her boyfriend." He took a seat, running a hand through his hair. "Why are you wearing it?"

"Because unfortunately-" I turned back around to wiping down the shelves "-the one useful thing I could've gained from you would've been temperature resistance, but I didn't. Therefore, I have to survive using extra layers of clothing."

"Very funny." I heard his fingers tap the bar. "You only need to say it and I'll help keep you warm."

I chuckled. "Fine. Leave me your jacket so I can wear it next time."

"Not like that, Ryleigh."

"That's the only way you're going to be able to keep me warm, Lou."

"I was thinking of a more... hands-on approach."

"Keep thinking."

The bell dinged. "That's a bit of a tall order for a demon." I laughed at Mike's interjection, turning to throw him a welcoming smile over my shoulder as well.

Mike nodded back at me as Lou threw the opposite of my welcoming smile over his shoulder. "Feathers. You look worse for wear today."

"Perhaps, it is because I haven't had a chance to leave this meatsuit since we gathered yesterday." Mike sounded tired as well. He walked up to the bar, taking his usual seat. "No drink yet, demon?"

"Ryleigh's busy."

"Give me another few minutes, I've been putting off cleaning shelves for a very long time."

"Need help?"

"Sure. Start restocking the shelves from that end. It's been cleaned."

"No problem." A warm gust brushed the back of my neck and suddenly, Mike was beside me, looking over the shelves and bottles I'd placed on the counter. "Since you're tall- start with the top shelf stuff. Be careful not to drop it."