Egg Coated Fried Yam (Yamarita)

EGG-coated fried yam is a common delicacy among homes in the northern part of Nigeria. It can be made with boiled, roasted or fried yam (I prefer boiled yam tho).
  I've been obsessed with this dish recently and I can't get enough of it, I hope you'll try it and enjoy it as I do, it's a very simple dish.

INGREDIENTS

- ½ to 1 small tuber of yam (peeled and sliced into your desired shape)

- ¼ Cup Flour (the amount of flour would be determined by how many yams you’re frying)

- 1-2 Tablespoon Chili (adjust to your preference) (optional)

- 2 Teaspoons Dried thyme

- 1 Tablespoon Red bell pepper (chopped)

- 1 Tablespoon Green onion (chopped)

- 1 Tablespoon Whole Milk

- 1 Large Egg

- Seasoning powder/cube (optional)

- Salt (to taste)

METHOD;

- Slice and peel your yam (cut into your desired shape).

- As you're peeling your yam, endeavor to soak it in a bowl of water to prevent it from browning

- In a big saucepan or pot add the sliced yam with water, season with salt and boil (when you pierce a fork into the yam, and it goes in without any restriction then it is cooked enough, You don’t want to over cook your yam if not it will fall apart)

- When the yam is done drain or remove the yam from the water

- While the yam is boiling, make your dredge station; in a small bowl, add flour, thyme, red bell, chopped green onion, salt, seasoning powder and or salt and pepper then whisk together.

- In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and a pinch salt. Add both the egg mixture and flour mixture together.

- Heat enough oil in a shallow pan/fryer/frying pan over medium-high heat.

- Coat each yam in the yam mixture then fry until golden brown.

- Serve with a sauce of your choice (even your basic ketchup will suffice) and enjoy!

Remember to have a drink by your side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: the picture used does not belong to me