Chapter 4: Forced Teamwork

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success."--Henry Ford

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Rose~

I drummed my fingers on my arm rests and breathed deeply. I seriously missed the scent of leather seats and the scent of the amazing food the chef makes. Unlike public planes, private jets provide food fresh outta the oven (for lunch they served pork ribs, mash potato with gravy, and chocolate cake). I looked out the window and saw nothing but a bunch of thick, puffy, white clouds. It seemed so peaceful up here. Makes it so hard to believe that thousands of feet below, a bomb lies within the earth, waiting to be activated so it could cause havoc among the unsuspecting civilians. I still can't believe the government wouldn't believe the CIA. How can they disregard an important message like this?! I groaned internally and made a mental note to have a chat with the CIA's superintendent as soon as this mission's over. Speaking of over...when all this is done (if we even suceed), would I want to continue high school? Or would I go back to the whole espionage business where I belong? Maybe I can--ouch! I picked up the pen in my lap that someone had rudely thrown at me.

"What the hell?" I demanded, annoyed that someone interrupted my deep thinking.

"Rosabelle Anne Fabiano," my brother scolded, using my parents trick of using my full name. "We are busy talking about infiltrating the White House when you--"

"White House?" I interrupted.

"If you were listening earlier," Zach said in an almost bored tone, "then you would've known that one remote is in the East Wing, the biggest room in the white house."

"Why would the bomb be under Washington, DC?" I asked, feeling a bit ashamed. Dad said that the "fate of humanity lies in our hands" and here I am, zoning out. Nice.

"It made sense actually," Jessica nodded and I could see the academically-smart side of her kicking in. "If the terrorists wanted to blow up the whole North American continent, why not plant the bomb beneath the top country? And since the most important landmark of the US is the White House, why not hide the remote control there?"

"Zat makes perfect sense," Claire nodded and Jessica beamed, sitting straighter in her seat.

"So all we need to do is go to the East Room and destroy the remote?" I asked. Sounds easy to me.

"It's not that easy," Ian said, reading my mind. I swear, my brother can be so creepy sometimes.

"The White House has guards in every entrance and practically in every corner inside," he continued. "We need to find a way to get in without arousing suspicion. Remember, the government can't know about our plan."

"We can go on a tour," Matt piped up.

"This is no time to go sight seeing," Zach scoffed, annoyed.

Matt growled and said, "No, dumbass. My parents took me once to a tour of the White House. If we go as tourists, we have easy access to go inside and can just sneak in away from the group and towards the East Wing."

"Then we can take the remote, sneak back into the tour group, and no one will ever know!" Jessica beamed at her boyfriend. "Mattie you are a complete genius!"

Everyone agreed but Zach merely scoffed. I rolled my eyes as I opened a laptop from the duffel bag and Googled something.

"Got it," I announced and everyone turned. "There's a tour tomorrow, which is Saturday, from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm. The plane doesn't land in DC till like, after 8 hours. We should be there by 7 in the morning, giving us plenty of time to prepare."