Chapter 8: Into The Depths of the River

"I can only think of one experience which might exceed in interest a few hours spent under water, and that would be a journey to Mars."--Wiliam Beebe 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Rose~

After an hour, I slowly walked back to our "main room" and hoped everyone else was there. They were. Except for my brother who was probably still in the toilet. I supressed a sigh of relief and as I pretended to be interested in a bungee cord that doubles as a belt, I could feel the intensity of Zach's stare. I stood up as my brother entered and flipped him off again as he sat down. He chuckled and I cleared my throat.

"Okay," I said. "We're landing in Brazil in like 2 hours the most and our plan this time's pretty simple. We just go to the rental shop my parents were talking about, get some scuba suits, and hit the water. The faster we find it, the better."

"Don't you need to have a license for scuba diving cause it's dangerous and stuff?" Eddie asked.

I grinned and said, "Yeah, but I got that covered with fake licenses."

"How long do you think it'll take us?" Jessica mused. "The river isn't exactly a small mass of water."

"We should totally split up," Matt nodded.

"Okay then," I said and walked over to the pile of gadgets we were gonna use. "We're gonna be needing these so make sure you won't lose them in the water," I said and tossed them each a stun gun that doubles as an underwater flashlight, waterproof earpieces, a laser pen, and underwater tranquilizers. I don't think my high school friends could handle shooting someone, so we decided to settle with tranquilizers.

Two hours later, we exited the plane and as we waited for a cab outside the airport building, the first thing we noticed was the humidity and heat. Not a good combination to people with short tempers.

"Where the f**k is that damn cab?!" Zach practically yelled again. A couple of elderlies glared in our direction and I sighed. He hadn't done anything to encourage what happened earlier and although for some reason this stung me a lot, I was grateful for the ignorance.

"I already called for one 'alf an 'our ago and I wonder why eet ees not 'ere yet," Claire said, craning her neck as she stood with us next to the line of passengers that were waiting for a cab as well. "Ees eet always zis slow een Amereeca?"

"If your in a tourist attraction, yeah," I said and shifted my heavy bag to my other shoulder. Inside was my gadgets and our fake scuba licenses. Despite the thin clothing we were wearing that didn't stop the heat from stopping any forms of breeze to pass through us. I groaned and stomped my foot impatiently.

A cab finally came after five minutes but the man in his mid-twenties in front of us got to it first. We all groaned and I muttered a low curse word. Feeling beyond irritated, I stomped over to the man and made him face me. Then with the sweetest smile I could do, I batted my eyelashes and said in a Southern Accent, "Excuse me sir, my friends and I have been tortured under the heat that we're not used to. Do you mind if you let us have this one?"

The man blinked, as if no teenager has ever spoken to him like that before. He glanced up and down at my short shorts and fitted tank top that revealed my descent cleavage and stuttered, "Sure."

"Thanks," I winked and motioned my friends to get in. The cab wasn't that big, so 5 of us have to sit in the back and 2 have to sit next to the driver. Sounds comfy, right? I was about to hop in next to Claire in the back when I felt a pull behind me. I turned and saw my brother smirking at me. He shoved me in the front next to Zach and hopped in in the back. Jerk.