Best man

(set between Books 3 & 4)

Stoick's death had left a hole in the heart and life of the Hairy Hooligans, mostly for Hiccup. Where the villagers had lost a fierce warrior, a friend, a model, a chief, they had gained another one in Hiccup. But Hiccup had lost his father, there was no remplacing him. After his mother, he had lost his sole parent and was now an orphan, last member of his blood family.

And despite the fact his wedding with Joke was approaching, promising to unite them with the same name and family, the fact Hiccup was the last Haddock was still nagging him. Especially during this dream that haunted him a few days before the ceremony, while the preparations were getting crazy and his days were even busier than with only chief duties.

The dream had started like a nice one, one of the nicest actually. Hiccup was living the ceremony. He saw himself by Joke's side, both dressed in white even if the clothes were blured in his mind. Both were standing in front of the Meat Hall, in the stairs, with their people looking at them, facing Goathi while a gold ribbon was wrapped around their joined hands.

Hiccup had not much memories of this dream ceremony, only the feeling of warmth and blissful happiness, and the fact that Joke's smile was blinding, just like his own. However all the beauty of the dream vanished as soon as the newlywed husbands turned to face the villagers.

In the stairs, Hiccup saw a group of people standing on Joke's side of the alley, to accompany him, his family. The three Hofferson and Elska were there, almost pressing onto each other to fit in the space. Reekfrid, Olgarg, Astrid, Elska... both Joke's families reunited. But on Hiccup's side, there was no one. No father, no mother, and even less siblings since he had always been a single child, his mother gone even before thinking about having another child.

Hiccup had never felt alone during childhood because he had Joke who, more than a best friend, had almost been like a brother to him. Almost, because he had never loved this boy like he would love a brother.

However, in this dream, while it was turning into a nightmare, Hiccup felt loneliness like he had never before. No mother, no father, no brother nor sister, no one to stand by his side during this precious day he was uniting his fate with the one he loved. And Hiccup realised he also didn't have a best man for the ceremony.

The dragon riders were standing among the crowd, looking at them with shining eyes and joyful smiles that tore his heart even more. Astrid seemed to be the best woman for Joke, and it didn't surprised the auburnet. Who else could Joke ask for this ? And who could Hiccup ask ? It was not like Toothless could be his best man, he was a dragon after all...

So that day, Hiccup woke up with a dreadful feeling of pure loneliness sinking into his heart. It was aching. It was hurting.

* * *

Hiccup didn't understand right away what was happening. He could only say it was comical seeing the imposing stout Fishlegs burst into sobs and hold on the much thiner Joke, so slim he seemed ready to collapse under the weight at any moment. The amused chuckle of his fiancé warmed up Hiccup's heart, even more when he met sparkling blue eyes and earned a smile.

''Why am I not surprised Fishlegs would cry ?'' Astrid teased as she stopped next to the young chief.

The sudden apparition of the blond warrior made him start, but he swiflty hide it. He nodded as a greeting and looked at her crossing her arms to stare at the two men in the street. She shook her head, visibly trying not to laugh.

''Do you know what's going on ?'' The chief inquired.

''I suppose Joke finally asked him to be his best man to your wedding. Finally, because it has been at least two days Joke tries to but Fishlegs is too busy with the Academy and the preparations.''