Fright of passage

(set after the first chapter of Book 2)

The night was cold. It was even colder than the other nights. It also was gloomy. No one was sleeping, because every one was to afraid to get some rest. And it got even worst as the sky was suddenly filled with glowing lights.

The ground was nothing but darkness, it was impossible to see where to step, while the sky was as bright as day, filled with green and jade colors dancing like ribbons.

''Horvendhil's fire !'' A viking shouted while terror screams and panic rose from the villagers. ''Everyone, lock yourself in !''

''It's too late ! The Flightmare is here ! The Flightmare is here !''

Horns blew the alert signal through the whole village, but no viking dared to pick up their weapon to fight, they rathered make sure their family were safe. Only a few brave ones – or crazed ones ? – did.

All of a sudden, the veil of the night was pierced with rays of blinding blueish light, moving along a form over the houses. A loud hissing echoed in the air while the glowing dragon stroke, spreading fear and chaos on its path.

''Run ! The Flightmare is here !''

Unlike everyone who was running away, a little girl was still outside, her eyes focused on the sky. She may was only seven years old, she already had strong arms, wearing a horned helmet and an axe bigger than herself. Too big blond braids were waving on her back to each of her steps, and her blue eyes were glaring at the dragon which scared the village.

She tightened her grib on her axe and, looking determined, started to make her way towards their enemy. Though she only took a few steps before a man stood in front of her. He was so tall she could barely reach his belly, and he had the same blond hair as her, just like the same fierce face.

''Nuh nuh'' He said while making a no with his finger. ''No way, deary Astrid.''

She glared at him and rose her axe a bit higher before scoffing at him.

''I wanna fight, uncle Finn ! Who's gonna protect Joke if I don't ?''

A small smile played on the uncle's lips, before he softly patted her head.

''That's not a fight for you. Yet.''

They both turned around as they spotted a glowing light moving from behind hutts nearby.

''Go back home to protect your brother and your parents, I'll make sure this beast won't destroy Berk ever again.''

And with this, the uncle Finn brandished his own axe and threw himself afterthe beast, though his niece's gaze followed him. She wanted to run after him, but she knew he was right : if she wanted to protect her baby brother, she had to stay by his side. It didn't prevent her from looking at her uncle disappear against the currant of fleeing vikings.

The tall blond man ran towards danger without hesitation, until he found himself in front of the glowing dragon.

''Here I am, ungodly beast !'' He screamed. ''Fearless Finn Hofferson ! I've been waiting for this for ten years ! Come and get me, if you dare !''

The dragon took to the sky and hissed a ghostly roar. A few vikings witnessed the fight, but no one was expecting it to end this way.

Once the Flightmare finally left the village, leaving chaos and destruction on its path, the lights faded from the sky. Fear slowly faded from the vikings' heart, who came back to the streets to check the damages. that's when the witnesses started to talk, chocked by what they had seen.