Homecoming 1

(after Book 4)

''This is New Berk, at Snoggletog. The greatest time of the year.''

Vikings were settled on the fortress-like island of New Berk for years now, but still now they couldn't stop thinking how life was better there than on former Berk. Not only did they have a lot more space here on their berkian isle, a bigger village, giant lakes to fish around them, breathtaking heavenly landscapes, but they also had a nicer weather.

High above the first layer of clouds, the air was pretty chilly but there were less storms. When it was snowing, the whole island would be covered in white and silver, the thick blanket becoming the perfect playground for children and dragons.

''The lights, the haunting songs, the holiday shopping, the yaknog shooters, and most of all, the dragons.''

Joke took a deep breath when he pushed open the door of the hutt, taking in the sweet perfume of home. He had left the outside and its crispy fresh winter scent for the one of burning wood in the fireplace, mixed with dry fir tree and holly hanging on the beams as Snoggletog decoration.

Snoggletog was his favorite time of the year, winter in general was his favorite time of the year. At the beginning, he didn't know why he liked this season that much, but finding back his blood mother and hearing her talk about Haze had helped him realise this cold season was actually nagging at his memories and filling him with nostalgia. Cold and snow had been bringing back blurred memories of the island he was born at.

Snoggletog had always been magical to him, and the ever-constant presence of snow on New Berk was not changing it. However, the more years were passing by, the more Joke felt like these holidays were more and more amazing, especially since the birth of his children. After all, Alwine's birthday was on Snoggletog day, adding one more reason to party. The house was lively with the children, and even more when the dragons visited, or their friends visited. That year, the dragon riders had decided to all gather at the Haddock-Storm's hutt for the party, since it was one of the biggest houses, big enough to welcome the whole Fury family when they wanted to come and stay the night.

Since it was the time of the year when there was more cold and flu – not even mentioning Black Plague Friday when everyone without exception was sick and coughing – Joke had a lot of work to do, so Hiccup was in charge of cooking. It didn't deter Elska, Astrid, Eret, Olgarg, Reekfrid and Gobber to help out. Fishlegs had offered help too, bt Hiccup had declined seeing how his stout friend was already overbooked with his own children at the Chaos Farm.

One week left from Snoggletog, and this was the first evening that promised to be peaceful for the chieftain couple, Joke was looking forward to it. A tender smile crept on his face as he spotted his husband sleeping in the chair next to the fireplace, their six years old son sprawled on his belly, just as fast asleep as his father. The healer took a moment to look at the both of them. As Haldrik was growing up, he looked more and more like Hiccup. It was obvious the boy took a lot more after Hiccup than Joke. He looked like a perfect copy of Hiccup, save for the snowy locks, the palish skin, the high cheekbones and the fact his chin was rounder, and most of all the shape of his ears.

Joke smiled softly and leant in to plant a kiss on the boy's forehead, before giving the same affection to his husband's cheek. The chief smiled even before opening his eyes.

''Hi babe.''

''Hi chief. How was your day ? Not too tiring I hope.''

''Not tiring, but really long. I missed my husband. Come here.''

Joke chuckled as Hiccup pulled on his sleeve to reach his lips and kiss him.

''Where are the girls ?'' The healer asked.