i. a prospering reign

December 10, 1518

Three years.

Three years had gone by. I was alive and well, along with Anne. It was a miracle, really, that we both survived. Katherine and Henry were both extremely grateful for our good health, along with most of England. 

Katherine, now six years old and growing up to be a kind, brilliant girl, still spent most of her time in Hatfield. Her tutor reported as often as she could of her accomplishments. I was incredibly proud of her and all she achieved. It pleased Henry as well. Knowing his sole heir was so clever soothed his worries a bit.

Whereas Kate resided in Hatfield, Anne was in Westhorpe. After arguing about it for a month or so, I agreed that she could live separately from Katherine, though I did so very reluctantly. Henry insisted that Anne would cause a disruption to Katherine's education. I understood that he wanted his heir to receive the best education in all of England, possibly even Europe, but it saddened me that my daughters were so far from me and from each other. So Anne, three years old and becoming a beautiful and quick-witted princess, lived in Westhorpe. I planned on moving them both to Hatfield once they were older, though. 

For the holidays, though, both of the princesses came to court.

When their carriage arrived, dragging an imprint in the freshly fallen snow, the whole court was joyous. Henry and I went outside, draped in warm cloaks and concealed from the bitter chill, eager to greet them. 

First, Katherine stepped out of the carriage. She was dressed warmly and in a regal purple, which seemed to be her favorite color. Like most girls her age, she seemed older each time I saw her. She was definitely taller and the roundness of her face was fading. Her dark hair was pinned back neatly, and she radiated, even at such a young age, a sense of elegance and grace.

Anne exited the carriage after. She stumbled a bit but Katherine helped her. Whereas Katherine favored me, Anne looked a lot like her father. It was becoming more evident as she grew. Now three years old, Anne's ebony curls fell freely, framing her pale face and accentuating her blue eyes. 

They were opposites in personality, too. Katherine, beginning to fully understand her future and responsibilities, was refined and sensible. Anne was relaxed and witty, a stark contrast to her sister.

"Mama!" Anne exclaimed happily, running over to me. She wrapped her arms around me, and I bent down to her level, smiling.

"Anne! It is so good to see you. How are you?"

"Well!" she answered merrily.

"And you, Kate? How are your lessons coming along?" Henry asked.

Katherine smiled respectfully. "They're amusing. I like my new tutor much more than my old one. But I get quite lonely. Why can't Anne and I both live at Hatfield or here, at court?"

I looked at Henry, a smug grin on my face. He stumbled for an answer, knowing Katherine would be disappointed no matter what.

"Your studies," he answered, "Are incredibly important. We must minimize distractions, including your sister and the madness at court."

Katherine sighed, disappointed. I hated seeing her so sad. "Katherine, you will be queen one day," I said calmly, "You must be prepared if you want to lead fervently and admirably. When you are older, you will see your sister so much that you wish you lived separately, I promise." I smiled wistfully at her. So young, with so much pressure bearing down on her and still she maintained her image of poise and grace. She was a truly remarkable girl.

The perfect heir.

"We are all here now, though," Henry said joyously, scooping Anne up. "And I believe some  celebrations are in order."