xviii. a baker without bread

October 4, 1514

"Mrs. Thornton, it is very lovely to finally meet you. Thank you for joining me today for tea," I said, plastering a fairly convincing fake grin. "Has your husband, John, mentioned my family at all? He is a longtime friend of my family."

Even with Isabell searching, John Thornton managed to avoid me and anyone closely associated with me. Instead, I settled for his new wife, Betty. I learned she was twenty years old, just like me, which meant she was about eight years younger than her husband. She wasn't an unattractive woman, but she paled in comparison to some women who were also at court. Her thin strands of strawberry colored hair and hazel eyes weren't flattering at all, but she seemed to be a very adequate woman otherwise.

"Only once," Betty replied, "I was very surprised when I received your invitation."

"His father knew mine, and he visited us often, especially when I was a young girl. He loved spending time with my oldest sister, Beatrice. It devastated her and John when she was forced to marry someone else," I told her, purposefully alluding to the short affair between my sister and her husband.

My family knew about the affair, and nobody seemed to care about it, which only encouraged John and Beatrice, who were teenagers at the time. Even though I was a little girl at the time, I knew that something was happening between them. According to my mother, the duo was planning on getting married, but my father forbade it since he was below us. It made finding a husband for Beatrice extremely complicated. We were very fortunate to find Lord Rowlett, a young nobleman in dire need of a wife. After all, a girl without her virtue was about as good and useful as a baker without bread.

Betty looked repulsed. Clearly, she had no idea. "I didn't know that," she admitted. She then cocked her head in confusion. "I thought it was you who had an affair with him. At least, that's what everyone is saying."

I acted shocked. I was putting on a pretty convincing act, at least I thought so. "Really? That's so outlandish. I can't believe people think so lowly of me," I said, "It makes no sense, either. John stopped coming around when I was thirteen, the same time that Beatrice married."

"That's so fascinating," Betty remarked, intrigued by my story, "I can't believe I listened to those rumors. You seem like a lovely woman."

"Thank you," I said humbly. Even though I was manipulating her because of her husband, she deserved even the smallest bit of respect and gratitude.

"These rumors simply must go," Betty said, very riled up, "I can't believe people would disparage their queen's reputation like this! I can't even fathom how you must feel, either."

"Oh, it feels like a betrayal," I exaggerated, "So you'll quash these awful rumors about me, won't you, Mrs. Thornton?"

She didn't even hesitate. "Of course, Majesty! Not only does it make you look bad, it makes my husband and I look bad."

"That is excellent news. I am very grateful," I said.

At that moment, Henry entered the room loudly. He was frantic and obviously concerned about something. Betty and I both jumped up immediately.

"Anna, there's something urgent we need to discuss," he said. Glaring at Betty, he added, "Alone."

"Of course," I said nervously. I turned to Betty remorsefully. "You'll have to excuse me."

I followed Henry out of the room and around the palace. We were both silent as we briskly traveled down the halls. Whatever was so urgent was bothering Henry very much. As we walked, I created a list in my mind of all the secrets I had.