xxvi. save the queen

July 31, 1515

"What if it's a girl? What would you do then?"

Henry and I sat opposite of each other, a game of chess unfolding predictably on the table. He was winning, much to my annoyance. 

"It's a boy, I am sure of it," Henry answered, avoiding my question.

"You thought Katherine was going to be a boy," I reminded him, "Is she not everything you wanted in a son?"

"You are correct. She is everything I want," Henry said, "In a son."

 "You know it is likely that I will die, don't you?" I asked.

Henry avoided my calculating gaze. "You won't."

"Henry-"

"I know, Anna. I don't want to think about it, though." He looked up at me, his eyes asking for me to avoid the topic. He looked truly helpless and desperation radiated off of him. 

"If I die and leave you with only daughters, what will you do?" I pressed, "Cry about it? Because that won't change anything. Henry, I need to know that my children's birthright is secured, even when I am gone."

"If you are gone," Henry answered, "I will have to remarry after some time, but for the sake of England and our children. If you leave me with no son, the the first son my new wife gives me with be named heir apparent, but your children will remain second and third in line. If you leave with Kate and a healthy son, then they will remain first and second in line for the throne."

"You promise?" I asked, sighing a breath of relief.

"I promise," Henry said, "I will never love another like I love you."

I placed a hand on his comfortingly. "And I you. But you will always be able to find me, even when I am among the stars."

__

August 1, 1515

The poor were given twice as much as they usually were, and I spent an unusually long time doing such a simple task. Trying to immerse myself in moments of pure bliss became increasingly important to me as the days went by. 

As I walked down the halls, a slight chill in the air, I felt an uneasy presence. Something felt strange and precarious about the situation.

So, when a flying object breezed by me, my reaction was much different than I expected. Calmer than I should have been, as if I had been expecting it.

"Get the king and queen to safety!" 

"Get out!"

The screams and cries of people, both noble and peasant, filled the air. A guard pulled on my arm, and I numbly followed him. I glanced over my shoulder when I had reached Henry and we nearly exited the space to see who had been hit in my place.

Sarah.

She had been trailing behind me as we greeted the peasants, and it made perfect sense that she was hit. She had collapsed onto the ground, her ginger hair strewn messily on the floor. Her hands were clasped on her shoulder tightly, and she was obviously in an immense amount of pain. Sarah, the only one of my original ladies. Sarah, the most loyal and devoted girl I knew, was left to die on the cold ground with no one around her.

"I can't leave her!"

I shrugged myself free, reentering the room, which was much less crowded than it had been. Henry called my name out, frustrated, but the guards pushed him out, fearing for his safety as well as mine. I ran as fast as my legs allowed me, which was actually quite fast for a heavily pregnant woman, and sat beside the girl's body.

"Sarah, it's alright," I said soothingly, "You'll be better soon."

"No. Anna... go," Sarah said between scattered breaths, "This was meant to hit you. I will gladly die in service of a queen such as yourself."

"Sarah, no. Don't speak like that," I chided, "Come, you need to get out of here."

Sarah looked up at me, and shook her head softly. "Make sure my sister knows that I love her dearly."

"You can tell her, once you're better," I said frantically. Guards hovered over me, speaking indistinctly. 

"Your Majesty, for the safety of you and your child-"

Rising slowly, I faced the guard. "Get Lady Sarah to the physician. I can fare well enough to walk outside on my own."

Sarah could hardly walk, but I didn't even have a choice. Slowly, I made my way outside, with the eyes of nobles, peasants, and palace staff all glued on my tear stained face. Then, a sharp pain shot through me harshly. I grabbed onto Henry for support, and he eyed me curiously. The pain only grew worse.

"Anna, what is it? The baby?"he asked, "The court physician is on his way for Lady Sarah, but if you need him-"

"But Sarah-"

"Is not the queen," Henry interrupted, "Anna, I think it's time for our little prince to be born."

"I do, too."

__

Henry had to carry me to my chambers because I was in too much pain to walk. The physician followed, looking much more frantic than usual. Isabell, Clara, and Octavia came along, but Sarah was no longer the palace's priority. It saddened me to know that her life would be given up on so easily. No one thought twice about leaving her to die. 

"Henry, send a message to Hatfield. Bring our daughter here," I said between agonizing groans, "If anything should happen to me, tell her how much I love her."

He knelt beside me, a few lone tears falling down his face. The king was crying. It seemed absurd that the king of England would be publicly vulnerable, but it was actually comforting to know he cared so much, and that his worry went beyond the basic degree of concern all decent husbands felt when their wife was on their probably deathbed. 

"Anna, I love you. Truly."

"I know," I managed to reply, "And I-"

"Save your strength, my love."

I only nodded in reply, watching him exchange a few words with the physician.

"Your Majesty, there is a chance the queen could die," the physician warned, "I will do everything I can for her, though."

"I am trusting you with her life," Henry said coldly, "If you lose her life, I will see to it you lose your head."

The physician's eyes widened, fearful. "And if it comes down to Queen Anna's life or your child's life?"

"Save the queen."

"But Your Majesty, it is the child who is usually saved-"

"And I said that the queen should be saved!" Henry raged.

I turned to Clara, fear written plainly on my face. The agonizing pain was only getting worse, and I could feel the pressures and pain pounding down on me. 

"If I live..."

"Then your child might die," she finished, her voice not daring to go above a polite whisper. 

"The whole kingdom is praying for you and your child," Octavia added reassuringly, "You and your child will both survive, Anna. We will make sure of it."

____

published october 7, 2020