12-Father to Son

Dante POV*

I paced around my office trying to find someone to scream at, anyone. I needed to get this anger off of my shoulder. It was a good thing i wasn’t surrounded by my incompetent men, then I’d be sure to have put a bullet in someone's head.

The lights were off in my office to calm me. It seemed that being in darkness always made me think clearer. My phone rung suddenly and i looked over to the big wooden desk near the giant window of the room. The moons light through the window gave such a dramatic effect. I walked over to my desk and picked up the phone.

"What?" I said. I should have looked at the caller ID. I never usually just pick up the phone, but my brain was so off track and i wasn’t thinking well. This was all John's fault.

"Sir, you have a meeting tonight at the casino. I've arranged for a ride to come."

I forgot about the meeting at the casino. It was a meeting that was important, and could land me control over what drugs come in and out of the Loren territory. If it didn’t go well, than i lost millions that i could be bathing in. But i couldn’t go to a meeting like this.

"Tell Benzo he can reschedule. Or, better yet, send in Armani. I don't think I’ll be able to make it." I hung up the phone not looking for a response. They knew better than to question my orders.

An image of Mr. Vail and my son popped up in my head again and i pressed my fingers against my temples. I groaned feeling the pain of seeing my son in this way. I kicked my desk, making it shake. I stopped when i heard the door creaking open. I quickly got out my gun and turned around pointing to see who had entered.

It was just Mikey. I huffed and put my gun down on my desk. "Don't pop up like that." I said "I could have shot you."

He looked upset, very upset. His eyes were blank and his mouth was just a line. I was a widely known feared mafia boss, but my biggest fear was a teenage boy. The way he looked at me with such an expression let me know he hated me even more now. It was no secret he didn’t like me much before.

"We need to talk." He said. His voice was more commanding than mine.

I nodded. The image of him and Vail went through my mind again and i realized that i shouldn’t e so sincere to him right now. I should be angry. My eyebrow furrowed as i stared over to him. "Yes, we do." I said. "Mind explaining what kind of studying you and your teacher were doing?"

He started to fidget. Was he nervous? He never got nervous around me. He didn’t give a damn what i thought about him. "We weren’t studying." He said.

"Yeah, i could very much see that."

He took a breath in. "We were actually about to-"

"I don't need the recap." I walked closer to him. "You do realize how old he is, do you not?" I said.

He arched an eyebrow at me. "You mean you didn’t shoot him because he was a guy?"

"Who shoots someone because they're a guy?" I asked. Then i realized something. He must have thought i was homophobic. Sure i made some offensive comments throughout my life, but that was times i slipped up. I was raised in a very religious household that taught a man should be with a woman, but my mind always asked why.

"Oh..." He said.

"Are you going to explain to me why you think it's okay to-" i stopped myself. I always found it uncomfortable to talk about sex with my son. Maybe holding off on the sex talk was where i went wrong.

"Have sex?" He pondered.

"Yes." I said. "Doing that is just wrong, but with your teacher?"

He looked away from my gaze. "It's not like we did it. He only gave me like half a hand job."

I blushed hearing those words come out of his mouth. "You're not seeing him." I said.

"I am seeing him. You know why? Because you don’t control me." He turned around and started to exit the room

*************************************************************************************

I haven’t spoken to Mikey since the talk in my office. He seemed to ignore me more than usual, but i didn’t mind that since i was scared to even think about bothering him. He just gave me glares when i saw him. I had put up a rule that he couldn’t go out for the rest of the weekend. I had security guarding every door twenty four seven. Anything to stop him from seeing John.

The day i dreaded most came along. He had to go back to school, and i couldn’t have my security following him around. I tried that when he was a freshman because i was scared of him getting bullied, and it seemed to be against state policy unless you were the president's children.

I buckled into the jaguar and waited for Mikey to exit and get into the car. He walked slowly like he really didn’t want to even go. He opened the door and got inside, glaring at me. It nerved me. I turned on the car and began to drive.

We were half way there when i was stupid enough to try and spring a conversation. "Nice weather out huh?" I said to him. He rolled his eyes and continued to be a hormonal teenager. "So, are you excited for Italy?"

He didn’t say anything. It was so damaging for me to see him like this, even though he even hardly spoke to me anyway. I always wanted a close relationship with him, so i always gave into to him, but i needed to be a responsible parent. I didn’t want to always be so laid back.

"Speak to me Mikey." I said under my breath.

"Just stop dad." He said.

We pulled up to the school and i noticed John walking past us with a cup of coffee in his hand while texting on his phone. Seeing him made me want to pull my glove compartment down and get out my pistol.

Mikey saw him and the dull look in his eyes lit up. It angered me. He grabbed his back pack and got out of the car. He walked over to John and shoved him a bit playfully. John saw him and smiled happily. They embraced in a hug and walked together as they entered the school. I should have went after them with my hammer.

In the years I’ve raised him, i never saw Mikey so happy, and it made me jealous. The smiled that showed when he hung onto John made my heart hurt seeing that i never saw that when he looked at me. The bump in his step was a slouch when he walked with me. He never jumped out of a car to come and hug me.

Why did he seem to be better at making him happy? Were the shoes, the clothes, the video games, vacations, jets, yachts not enough?

I started the car and began to drive. I just drove around pondering the idea of what tolerating this relationship Mikey had with John would bring for me. Mikey was hard to read, so i couldn’t tell, but it wouldn’t make him hate me more.

I looked down to my phone and looked at the calls that i received yesterday. I clicked on John's number and it dialed. I placed the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" The voice said on the other end.

"John, it's me, Dante." I felt him stiffen. "I think we got off on the wrong foot. Maybe we can start over. How about coffee at Luca's?" I waited for a response.

"Does five sound fine." he answered.

"See you then."