↳ CHAPTER SEVEN

DAN AND BIANCA were, in many ways, a lot like the kids included in their daily lives — plagued with giddy feelings, that was — but even more so, they were not

        DAN AND BIANCA were, in many ways, a lot like the kids included in their daily lives — plagued with giddy feelings, that was — but even more so, they were not. That was a cold hard realization Bianca had no choice but to accept one week after the school dance and her heart-fluttering time with Dan, as she was getting ready to leave work only to run into Chloe and their daughter in the hallway. It was no surprise to see her around, but it would have been a lie to say that, by now, Bianca had gotten so accustomed to seeing Dan that the opposite disappointed her greatly each time.

          But, they were both adults with responsibilities and jobs, and that was exactly what Bianca was about to be reminded of.

         "Oh, hey", she greeted Chloe with a smile, delighted to see the woman, nonetheless. "I thought Fridays were Dan's turn to pick up Trixie", she added absentmindedly before clearing her throat awkwardly, "not that I've been keeping track or anything."

        Her words earned a smile from the Decker who patted her daughter's back to wordlessly encourage her to head over to the car, and when she turned back to Bianca, the joy on her face faded just enough to worry the counselor. "About Dan...", she began quietly, successfully wiping Bianca's face of any enthusiasm as she fell into wonder what was to come. Was this the grave warning of an ex-wife? A threat? "You may not see him around as much for some time. He had to go undercover for a case and he's, well, he's fine, but we don't know how long exactly he has to lay low."

        Oh, so something worse, then.

        Unable to do much else except breathe out without a single coherent thing to say, Bianca simply stared at Chloe with widening eyes and her arms folding over her chest instinctively. It had been a few days since the man had journeyed through the hallways of the school or appeared at her office door with a wide grin and a cup of coffee, but she hadn't understood to think that much of it.

         "I'm sure he would've let you know personally if he could, you know? It's just work, nothing more than that", Chloe reassured with a polite smile, and while Bianca did feel comforted by the fact that she didn't have to face off with her crush's ex, she couldn't help but frown. Of course, she wanted Dan to stay safe, but even if he'd manage to avoid any outside connections, who was to say he'd get out alive? She wasn't a detective, but she had heard enough stories — and seen enough movies — to know that undercover operations didn't always go as planned.

         "Oh, that's okay", Bianca eventually remembered to answer, a weak smile crossing her lips as she squeezed Chloe's arm, "I guess I'll be seeing more of you, then."

        Not that she minded. But that was, indeed, the case, and it wasn't until two whole weeks had passed with the Decker regularly waving at her that she realized how much she had been paying attention to Dan. Trixie's mom stopped by the school just as often as he did, but it became clear now that Bianca had only focused on the man — and it made the upcoming days unbearable.