↳ CHAPTER FOUR

DAMAGE CONTROL WAS one of Bianca's least favorite parts about her job

DAMAGE CONTROL WAS one of Bianca's least favorite parts about her job. Not because she wasn't good at it, but because there was so much ground to cover — she had been taught what to say, what protocols to follow, how to soothe the stressed students, and how to keep her own mental health in check, in the process.

And yet, she knew there were always a select few with whom her words didn't resonate.

There were so many sad eyes staring back at her as she stood in the middle of the gym, reciting a speech that came out of her so out of instinct she barely tasted the words before they were already hanging in the air. Some of them seemed comforted by her reassuring that the boys responsible for the fireworks exploding in the school kitchen had been suspended for the time being, but she could sense the tension between her and the kids waiting for closure on the long week behind them.

Luckily, they hadn't had any serious incidents until this one, and Bianca found some sort of solace in the fact that the students weren't used to being scared. But regardless, she knew she was going to have a busy couple of weeks, taking care of each and every one with the other counselor and the school psychologist.

"As can be expected, the cafeteria has been shut down. We'll be bringing tables and chairs right here in the gym until repairs are done and P.E classes will be arranged outside", the principal chimed in from Bianca's side, the main staff presented in front of the young kids and teens who were anxious to get to spending their weekend.

"Yes, and you can reach me whenever, alright? I'm extending my office hours for the rest of the month, starting next week, and I've printed you handouts with my email and some numbers for important hotlines. Grab one on your way out", Bianca announced with a sympathetic smile at the rows of kids in front of her, "we'll get through this together, and I'm here for you, no matter how small or big your worries are."

With that, the different classes were dismissed and they slowly moved together towards the exit, halting in small pauses to grab the handouts before steadily streaming outdoors. Bianca relieved a small sigh to seal everyone's first day back at the school since the fortunately contained fire — it wasn't easy for her, either, but at least she no longer felt the sting of smoke in her lungs and her eyes didn't burn with each blink anymore.

"Hey, well done", Tatum's voice was drawing Bianca out of her thoughts, and looking over her shoulder, the counselor found her and Annika walking over to her with soft smiles. "Don't know what this school would do without you." Although Tatum did most of the talking, Annika bobbed her head in solemn agreement, leaving Bianca smiling carefully. The job she had taken on wasn't always easy, nor was separating it from the rest of her life, but it felt good to know she wasn't taken for granted.

"I'm here for you guys, too", Bianca promised with an extended hand that Annika didn't hesitate to take. Once her gaze wandered over the Vasques' shoulder, though, her eyes widened and her fingers involuntarily squeezed around Bianca's hand.