Crying

Elise

Sometimes, Elise really wished that she thought certain things through. Maybe then she wouldn’t have broken her arm when she was ten when she jumped off the roof with her makeshift wings composed of cardboard and duct tape. She had spent her nights watching airplanes stark across the midnight sky and deemed it unfair that she couldn’t do the same. So weeks later she defied her parents and managed to climb up onto the roof with a ladder and jumped off. Her parents had grounded her for two weeks, because of that.

And maybe, she wouldn’t be standing outside of Declan’s workplace on a Saturday at noon with a to-go cup of his favorite ice-cream. Elise licked her lips as she stood staring through the glass windows that had “Dean’s Hardware Store” painted across the window with a nice forest green color. She could see him through the glass stocking up the aisles with tools. He was dressed in dark blue jeans, a navy blue v-neck and a green apron with his name painted on it. God, he looked cute.

Elise and Declan were texting earlier and were supposed to study today after he finished his shift. He told her that he got off at 12 today and somehow, Elise conjured up this silly idea to surprise him with his favorite ice-cream. She had no idea why she even did this, or thought that he’d even be happy to see her.

It had been a few days since she attacked him with that awkward hug, and nothing had really changed between them so Elise just assumed that he didn’t think much of it. Declan really did just think of her as a friend. And yet, Elise still felt the disappointment course through her veins at that revelation.

Elise glanced down at the cup of ice-cream that was beginning to melt in her hands, and debated just walking away and finishing it for herself. The word pathetic had crossed her mind multiple times ever since she arrived. Yeah, maybe she should just eat it herself. This was just too much. This was something a girlfriend would do for her boyfriend, and Declan and Elise sure as hell weren’t together like that. However, as Elise turned on her heels, she heard the bell ring, and the glass door open. Elise felt a chill run down her spine as Declan’s deep voice filled her ears.

“Elise? What are you doing here?” His surprise was more than evident.

Elise cleared her throat anxiously and avoided eye contact. “I uh, you said you got off at twelve, and you said to meet here. I thought I’d bring you some ice-cream after work, but uhh--,”

“Really?” His dark brown eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. As if he couldn’t believe that someone would think to do something nice for him.

“Yeah,” Elise’s felt her voice raise an octave. “It’s your favorite, but I mean, if it’s weird, then you don’t have to eat it.”

Declan’s voice and facial expression suddenly turned soft. “No, I don’t think it’s weird.”

“Oh,” Elise pressed her lips together. “Well okay then. Well here you go.”

Elise then proceeded to shove the cup into his unready hands, making Declan smile in amusement. He grabbed onto it, and looked up to smile at Elise. Elise knew she had mumbled her words together and was probably blushing like crazy, but she felt that that still didn’t give Declan the right to find her embarrassment entertaining.

“Well, I’m off already so let me just get my backpack and we can go,” he replied good-heartedly with a gleam in his eyes.

“Okay. I can just wait here.”

“Cool, be back in a bit.”

Once Declan left, Elise took the time to take a deep breath and glance at her reflection. She brushed her hair aside and used her fingers to rid herself of the tangles. She was adorned in light blue skinny jeans, a light grey top, and a navy blue infinity scarf. She huffed out a breath and took a step back right as Declan emerged once again with his backpack on and a spoon hanging out of his upturned lips. He was already halfway done with the ice-cream.