Chapter 3

"Put on a smile" I say to myself while looking in the mirror. "Don't over think what those people say"

"Get through today" I try to encourage myself. "Don't make a scene"

"Why are you talking to yourself?" Vella asks walking in.

"Because I thought there was no one here, but apparently they don't know how to knock"

She laughs. "Oops. Did you change your mind about the Queen thing?"

"No..I still don't want to" I say, tucking my black hair behind my ear.

"Oh? That's goo- I mean you should think about it..again" she says, sounding very uncomfortable.

"You okay?"

"Yeah..if you don't cover that someone will ask" she says pointing to my ear.

"Oh. Crap..I never understood why I have this stupid problem"

"Its a birth mark thing I guess."

"Maybe, it looks like its cut or something" I sigh covering it up with my hair.

"Come on..we don't want to be late" she says

"Fine" I say, as we both walk out.

"Remember what I told you" mother says joining us.

"Yes..but if they instigate-" I get interrupted by a group of men walking towards us.

"You must be Velliarh?" What looks like their leader, says to Vella.

"No..she is" mother says.

"But.. Aren't you born during the black sun?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah. I am" I say.

"How can you rule then?"

"So? Doesn't change anything" I say.

"Velliarh" Mother warns.

"Didn't they take girls like you away..experimented on them or something?" He says with an amusing tone.

"Yeah they did..but oh? Look. I'm still here. And no one else is complaining" I say

"You're getting on my nerves"

"If I had a coin for every time someone said that" I smirk.

I can hear Vella and mother sighing.

"Here we go" mother mumbles.

"Insult me one more time-"

"Or what? You're gonna curse the cursed?" I cut him off.

"Deal's off. We're leaving. Screw. Nilfgaard" he says angrily.

"Velliarh!! Look what you did!" Mother scolds."They're going to make sure they get you back for that"

"You expect me to sit idly by while someone insults me. Nah huh" I say.

"This is why your sister should be Queen. Right Vella?"

"I..uh." She hesitates.

Before I get too annoyed I leave.

"Velliarh! Get back here!" She calls.

I don't listen and lock my room door.

Vella's POV

Velliarh blew her chance! Wow..is she really that short tempered. She could've had a huge advantage but nooo. She wants her own terms.

I make my way to see mother and father, to find out what they're gonna do with Velliarh.

I stop outside the door when I hear yelling.

"I told you to send her away!" I hear mother shout.

"Its one simple thing!" Father says.

"Tell her! Tell who she really is!"

What? What does she mean who she really is?

"We cannot do that!"

"We? More like you" she shouts louder.

"Do you want them to hear?!"

"Yes! Yes I do! Its about goddamn time you tell Velliarh that her real mother is an elf!"

Hold up a freaking second. What?

"You make it sound like I knew that her mother was an elf. She had her ears cut down! I was deceived!" He defends.

Mother..didn't give birth to Velliarh during the black sun..an elf did?

"This is your fault! If Nilfgaard falls its your fault. If she kills one of us its your fault and if she uses her magic and destroys everything you know who's fault that'll be? Yours!"

"I get it!" He sighs. "She hasn't interfered with any political story yet..neither did she attempt to commit treason. Neither did she practice magic. Therefore I cannot do anything"

"There's going to be a time where you'll regret that" she says.

Oh? There will be.