Chapter one: Awakening in a new world

I died by being hit with a spherical piece of plastic and metal.

It was during math class in sixth period, and there had been an argument going on between a friend of mine and a classmate about who has the stronger team on their Pokémon Visual Display Device (VDD), a virtual reality system in the shape of a band that goes around your eyes, kinda like a skintight sleep mask. It came with these sticky pads -like the ones you get at the hospital when you need your heart rate checked- and these acted as a wireless scanner if you place them in the right place on your body.

It was recommended you had a lot of room to use this, but oh it's so worth it.

A pair of special gloves and boots lets you use items like weapons or potions in your game, you having to actually move as if you're really there. The boots let you move accordingly in the game, and the eye band only superimposed the game you're playing over reality, meaning you can control how much of the real room you can see, like the game is a hologram.

It was popular now, especially with older fantasy and adventure games like The Legend of Zelda, Skyrim, Lord of the Rings, For Honor, Call of Duty and of course...Pokémon.

I say older because, well its 2107 after all.
This set up was actually supposed to be a more hands on solution to the worldwide obesity problem that had steadily grew worse as years went by.
The VDD was developed to motivate and teach people to exercise properly and martial arts became a big hit when a few people who knew Tai-Chi, Tae-Kwon Do, Karate, Kickboxing and Boxing got paid to do a special program, making it easy to learn step by step classes for students to follow using the VDD and using what they learned to beat up fantasy monsters and villains.
The more you trained, the stronger your character in games would be. There was even a popular game where you could be paid to beat up or kill a bunch of monsters online, and do missions and such. I even had a character I created and got a pretty good amount of cash each month!

The game system also came with additions for their games.
Skyrim gamers got to choose or (buy more) a fake weapon that actually worked in game. It was made of foam, but had sensors in it that let you swing it around in the game just as you swung it in real life. You could even buy or exchange it in for a weighted one, like a real sword or battle axe.

Shooting games came with guns, and foam grenades and such.

Pokémon came with plastic and metal pokeballs, potions, or a Capture-Staff for a ranger player.
You could now even get a career in game once your old enough, and become a professor, a gym leader, a ranger, an officer, a breeder or moviestar, gaining a special badge for whatever career you chose. You play out the actual life of a character you customize yourself, choosing what region to start in and even how many family members you have.
You could now dote on a younger or older sibling, and receive Pokémoney, Pokédolls, training equipment, or even if you raised their affection high enough—a surprise Pokémon in the form of an egg!

There was now even a new path for just collecting Pokémon and making a zoo/museum using them.
And of course seeing who has the better team by battling each other.

So I —like my friends —played this game, a lot.

It was because of this game though that my classmate got pissed off after losing with his best team, that he threw his Pokéball that came with his VDD, missing my friend, and hitting the back of my head, causing me to trip over a classmate's purse, and slam my temple into the corner of the desk.

I instantly blacked out. Five minutes later, my heart stopped, and I was gone.

________________________________