Chapter 7: Found Out

Chapter 7:

Found Out

            “That bitch thought she could lay her dirty hands on me and get away with it,” Jess hissed to her two blonde friends, Dona and Myra, as they sat in the same coffee shop Greg and Darren had been in yesterday.

            “How dare she!” Dona exclaimed in outrage at the story her friend had told about the encounter with A.J Smith yesterday.

            “What makes a dirty human think she can talk to you like that?” Myra asked in disbelief.

            “I don’t know but we’re gonna teach that bitch a lesson,” Jess hissed as she crumpled her empty coffee cup in her freshly manicured hand. “I’ll make her think twice about laying her hands on me and for hanging around Darren.”

~*~

            Charles Alaric sat in his office looking over the names that he and his beta, Jonathan, had compiled. They’d went to every hunting supply store in Wolf’s Creek and compiled a list of people who bought the brand of arrow used to shoot the hunter in the forest the other evening. His brow furrowed as he read through the names on the short list, frustration beginning to take hold of him as he reached the end of the list and noticed there were no female names on it.

            “She must’ve borrowed the arrows from someone,” Jonathan offered in irritation as he took the list and looked it over. “This makes the search twice as hard.”

            “Perhaps,” Charles agreed somewhat as he took the list back from his long time friend to look it over once more. His eyes landed on one name, the surname of the person catching his attention in particular. “Paul Smith?”

            “Mark Smith’s son?” Jonathan asked as he looked at the name on the list along with the alpha.

Charles nodded as his thought went to the chief of police in Wolf’s Creek. He recalled the strange behavior he’d exhibited at their previous meeting. He seemed ill at ease when they began discussing the Lunae and had been asking more questions about it then all the other human members of the town council.

“You remember during our previous meeting how he acted a little strangely?” Charles asked. “He was very guarded during the duration of the meeting.”

“Do you think he might know something about the Lunae?” Jonathan asked.

“I’m not sure,” Charles said with a frown. “But maybe his son will know.” A knock at the door of the Alpha’s study sounded, interrupting their conversation. “Come in.”

Darren pushed the door open and entered the study with Greg, Myles, and Frank following behind him. “Myles and Frank are here. You said you wanted them to give you a detailed description of the Lunae.”

“Yes come in boys,” Charles called to his son, motioning them into his study.

“Do you have any leads so far?” Frank asked the alpha cautiously, his mind drifting to the young woman who’d saved the life of him and his mate.

“There were no names on the list we acquired from the hunting supply stores that were female,” Charles informed with a little irritation in his voice. “But we have a person we believe may have allowed her to use his arrows.”

“Who?” Darren asked.

“Paul Smith,” Charles answered his son.

“Is that A.J’s brother?” Greg asked his friend who nodded recalling the boy who had fixed his bike for him a few days prior.