Chapter 12: Wake Up Call

Chapter 12:

Wake Up Call

            “Mark I assure you she’s fine,” Charles Alaric sighed into the receiver of his office’s phone.

            “Then why the hell’re ya tellin’ me you’re keepin’ her at your house till she recovers?!” Mark Smith demanded from the other line. “What did those nut jobs do up there that they didn’t to the town school?”

            “They tried to kill all of the students gathered there,” Charles informed, attempting to keep his temper under control as he talked to the Lunae’s father. “If it hadn’t been for your daughter then they might’ve succeeded.”

            “I thought it was a new moon tonight?” Mark Smith asked. “What did she do?”

            “I’m not sure exactly,” Charles confessed. “You see after what happened my son has let his mate instincts take control and refuses to leave your daughter’s side or allow anyone to get close to her. It took a great deal of effort to get him to leave when my daughters wanted to change her into more comfortable clothes.”

            “What about his friends?” Mark asked.

            “They’ve all gone home to rest,” Charles replied. “As they should after what I saw at the scene when I finally arrived after everything was taken care of. Those damned hunters killed eleven kids tonight.”

            “We’ve taken in some of the hunters who tried to flee from the town school after settin’ off those smoke bombs, we’ve even gotten two they didn’t set off,” Mark explained. “We’ll have them transferred to ya for interrogation and so ya can study those bombs as soon as possible.”

            “Thank you Mark,” Charles thanked sincerely grateful for the human’s cooperation and help. “And I swear to you Artemis is unharmed and safe. She’s just resting. I’d have one of your sons bring her some clothes to change into when she wakes, I doubt my son will be willing to let her out of his sight after what happened.”

            Mark sighed. “Alright. If Darren’s there I trust him ta look out for her but if I hear ya said anythin’ ta her or forced her inta anythin’...”

            “You have my word as Alpha of this pack that I will not repeat my actions from our first meeting,” Charles promised with a sigh. “Goodnight.”

            “Night.”

            Charles pressed the “call end” button on the phone and placed it on the desk. He sighed again and ran a hand over his face.

            “How did we not see this coming?” Jonathan asked from his seat in the office. He was still in shock after he saw the state of the gym and the states of the students who’d been killed that evening. In all his years as beta, in his entire life, he’d never seen anything quite like what happened that night.  

            Charles shook his head. “I don’t know.”

            “Eleven kids are dead,” Jonathan muttered. “Eleven kids, who just wanted to go to a dance with their friends and have fun, are dead.”

            “They’ll pay,” Charles vowed as his eyes lightened in color and glowed in the dim lighting of the room. “Those hunters aren’t aware of what they’ve just unleashed upon themselves.”