Chapter 16: Rescue Pains

Chapter 16:

Rescue Pains

            She ran through the trees behind Marrok as he caught Heather’s scent, the other three wolves flanking her at her sides while Myles brought up the rear. The boys were nervous about diving into a fight like this, but not because they feared being hurt or killed. No they worried about the white haired, fragile looking, young woman they were charged with protecting. They knew if something happened to her Darren would never forgive them and more than likely beat them to a pulp. None of them wanted that so they were careful to stay close to A.J as they followed Marrok through the trees. The wolf stopped and stared at the line of trees in front of them. A.J pat his head to silently tell him he’d done a good job as she stepped forward towards a tree, ducked behind it, and peeked around the corner. There resting before them was a small shack like building with a shoddy looking roof and boarded up windows. Her ears picked up the sound of voices talking but she struggled to make them out. She closed her eyes and tried to focus on them more carefully.

            “Good she’s finally quiet,” a man growled in obvious aggravation as he walked from one area of the shack to the other.

            “Jackson you were too rough man,” another said disaprovingly, his voice filled with sympathy towards the girl they were talking about. “She looks half dead.”

            A.J’s teeth ground tightly together, knowing full well who they were talking about.

            A snort sounded from someone before Jackson began speaking again. “It’s her fault for associating with monsters,” he snapped. “Ken do you see anything on the bird cameras?”

            “Nothing so far,” a new voice answered. “But she should be coming soon.”

            A.J opened her eyes and looked into the trees around the shack. Sure enough she saw the outline of birds there, but they weren’t living. They looked real but she knew better than that.

            “They’ve got cameras ‘round the perimeter of the shack,” A.J explained to the boys. “If we try stormin’ in we’re gon’ be seen.”

            “Can you take them out with your arrows?” Frank asked quietly.

            “I could but I’m not sure how many they got,” she answered.

            “You wouldn’t know how to turn invisible by any chance?” Myles asked from beside his mate jokingly.

            She took in a breath and stepped back away from the tree line. “Wouldn’t hurt ta try I guess.” It was times like this she desperately wished she had one of her real parents around to teach her what she could and couldn’t do. Her eyes closed and she tried to remember the feeling she had when she healed someone. She imagined the power coming from her core, just like when she transformed, and spread it outwards, forcing it passed her muscles and skin. Mentally she molded it around her, contorted the energy to her body and thought about how it would seem if no one could see it, or her.

            “Dude I wasn’t serious,” she heard Myles gasp. She opened her eyes and looked to the wolves, noticing how their eyes darted around her, trying to spot her.

            “It worked!” she whispered in excitement as she looked down at her hands seeing the sparkly film around them and the bow she grasped tightly in her hand. “Ok here’s the plan. I’m gon’ go out there and take out all the cameras I see. Once they’re taken care of yins move in from the trees and surround the place. One of ya take the back, the other the front, then another the roof and gain their attention long enough for me and Marrok ta find a way into the shack and take out whoever’s inside.”