Goodbye

A/N: I know another story. I will still update the Avatar: The Last Airbender High School AU daily, so enjoy!

I sat at the base of a tree while Jinora sat in it swinging her legs. "I can't believe it, today's the day, I'm going to become an Airbending Master! I mean I've trained for this my whole life! Ikki would always tease me about reading too much but I was reading about our culture and family. Did you know I'll be the youngest Airbending Master? Grandpa Aang was twelve but I'm eleven. I'm a bit uncomfortable with shaving my head, so we can do my tattoos properly but that's a minor inconvenience! Am I talking too much?"

"No" I said, honestly I loved listening to her voice. I also loved her hair, but that would be gone by the end of the day.

"So," she said solemnly "You are leaving tomorrow?"

"Yeah..." The new air nomad recruits had to go around helping villages.

"Do you know who your partner is?"

"Opal, the good thing about that is she doesn't have a flying bison!"

"Why is that good?"

"So we can use Lefty, duh" She laughed, I loved making her laugh.

Then Ikki came over and yelled "Jinora, Dad said it's time to shave your head."

"OKAY!" she yelled, then said softly to me, "See you at the ceremony tonight"

That night Jinora became a master. The ceremony was cool, but Korra didn't look so good.

After the ceremony I ran up and gave Jinora a hug, but I could feel Tenzin glaring at me. Jinora looked pretty good without hair, You could really see her eyes.

Later that night we laid on our sides in the grass, "It feels so weird to not have hair." Jinora said, "Do I look weird."

"No you look great." I could see her blush slightly in the dark. So I took a risk and kissed her. If I wasn't going to see her for a long time, I didn't want to regret never kissing her. And she kissed me back. But after a few seconds she pulled away, "No, we can't do this, you're leaving tomorrow, and I'm staying here. We won't see each other for years and we can't tease ourselves like this."

"I couldn't leave without doing that."

I just... can't!" she had tears welling in her eyes as she left. I felt terrible, I was leaving and I wasn't going to see her, oh god I'm gonna miss her."

The next day when Opal and I were leaving everyone gathered around, we were the first team to leave. Jinora hung near the back, I waved to her to say goodbye. She gave up on the silent treatment and ran up and hugged me tight, crying into my shoulder. "I'll miss you so much Kai"

"Me too."

Opal and Bolin had some sappy goodbye before we got on Lefty and well... left. We waved to everyone and flew of into the air, the as going to be hard.