Chapter 6: The Capture

A week have passed since the Avenger left Port Rosemary. Bod gazed up at the starless night. The moon dominated the night, shedding its cold light over the calm sea. It was the perfect time for sirens to come out to hunt and the perfect time to hunt them.

Sirens hunt for sailors at night, where they are at an advantage due to their ability to see clearly at night. Sirens usually hunt alone. They hunt differently in the day and night. In the day, sirens will enchant a sailor with their beauty. At night, sirens are more menacing. Silently, they propel themselves through the water at top speed and once they are near their target, they will leap out of the water, grabbing their target before they fall back into the oceans.

It would be a mistake to say sharks are the kings of the oceans. Sirens were on top of the food chain. They will eat anything, from a clownfish to the great white sharks. Sirens dominated the underwater kingdom and struck fear in the hearts of the ocean as well as on land.

Bod stood beside William. He could see that his captain was tensed. This mission of catching a live siren was difficult and dangerous. Sirens are not ones to be easily fooled. They can only hope that this far out into the ocean, they would encounter a siren desperate enough for a snack.

William noticed his first mate looking worriedly at him. "Is everything okay, Bod?" he asked.

"Aye aye, sir. The nets are all ready," Bod replied.

"Good," William nodded in approval. "Tonight, by hook or by crook, we have to catch a live siren."

The crew were going along with Bod's plan as agreed. They prepared some fresh meat and lowered it down in a net, hoping that a hungry siren would fall for it. Bod himself, was doubtful of this plan but it was better than risking the lives of his men.

Tonight had better be the night. His plan has proved unsuccessful over the past few days and Captain Hail had said, if they were unable to catch a siren tonight, they would move ahead with his plan.

The hours rolled by. The men were getting tired and restless. There was still no sign of any siren.

"It's not working, Bod," William said sharply. "It's time to do things my way." The captain was growing impatient. This map was vital to their mission. There is no way they can proceed without the map.

Bod sighed and followed behind William as he walked forward. His men gathered around him.

"Get the boat ready!" William barked. He turned to his crew, "As you know, Bod's plan has failed. And as we have agreed, we shall move ahead with my plan."

Spurs of disagreement began to emerge. "It's too risky, Cap'n," one said. "It's a death sentence," said another.

William replied, "I don't expect any of you to be the bait. You men have families back home and this was my idea. I will go down. I only ask that you be accurate in your shots–"

"I can't let you do that, sir." A figure stepped out from the crowd. It was Bod. He looked at William, how a father would to his son. Bod made a promise to Jupiter to protect William all those years ago, and he intended to keep that promise.

"I will go," Bod said firmly. He began to walk towards the dinghy.

The crew gasped. "Bod, that's insane. Yer gonna get yerself killed!" Patrick exclaimed.

The first mate raised his hand to cut the sailor off. "I know what I'm doing and my decision is final. If my life is what it takes to get that siren and avenge Jupiter Hail, then it'll be worth it. After all, I do owe him my life," he said flatly.