Chapter 4: The Deal

Port Rosemary, 1849

THE port of Rosemary was booming with life. People were scuttling back and forth, shipments and baggage in hand. Port Rosemary was the centre for business. Most of these ships carried businessmen from all over the globe and brought them here.

The Avenger was going to dock for a day to restock their supplies before setting sail again. The crew decided to spend their time here at Humphrey's Inn and Bar, the place where One-Eye claimed the man with the siren map could be found.

William allowed One-Eye to lead the way. He followed closely behind, many thoughts ran through his mind. Thoughts of what to do with the map, how he was going to attack the sirens, how he was going to get the pearl.

"Here we are, Cap'n," One-Eye said, interrupting his thoughts. The captain nodded and entered the building.

The place was dim. The soft music that was playing in the background was drowned by the loud, boisterous laughter of sailors. As he surveyed his surroundings, William realized that majority of the men here were experienced sailors who have sailed the oceans for more than a decade or two.

He felt slightly intimidated. "Humphrey's Inn and Bar, huh?" he said to One-eye on his right.

"Aye, Cap'n. The one and only," the sailor replied confidently and proceeded to the bar counter.

William took a glance around. The place was not too shabby. It was brimmed with sailors and their juicy news. One-Eye had mentioned earlier that this was a famous spot for sailors all over the world to gather. Many deals were made here, legal and illegal. As much as Port Rosemary was a place for businessmen to do business, it was also a place where sailors did theirs.

They would sell maps, goods and information to other sailors in exchange for gold or priceless treasure. No information is ever free. When they are though, one had better watch out. It usually means they want something one is not keen on parting with. Such deals often end with death, but are rare nowadays.

Humphrey, the owner, barked to the bartender, "Woman, go welcome the new guests." The lady with auburn hair got out and approached William's crew. She dipped her head and smiled, "Welcome to Humphrey's Inn and Bar. Would you be staying the night or are you just here for drinks?"

William noticed the lady had a chipped front tooth and she was rather burly for a woman. William smiled back and said, "We'll be staying the night. We'll need five rooms, thank you." The lady dipped her head again and walked off to register their rooms. William proceeded forward and found himself a seat beside One-Eye.

They ordered a mug of rum each before they got down to business. "So... who is this person who has the supposed map to S'cria?" William whispered to One-Eye.

Obtaining this map was important because humans and sirens both see things differently. What was known as the Freiser Sea may be named differently for the sirens. Hence it was imperative that William acquire this map so he could know exactly where S'cria was located.

One-Eye shrugged, "I'm sorry, Cap'n but I've only heard 'bout him from other fellow sailors. I don't know what he looks like. If I'm not wrong, he goes by the name Talon."

"Alright, that's good enough. If he's a well-known man, then the bartender should know him," William replied hastily and called the bartender over.

The same lady from earlier walked over and asked, "Good evening sir, what can I do for you?"

William signalled her to come closer and whispered, "Do you happen to know any man here that goes by the name of Talon?"

The bartender gasped and replied, "Why, yes. He's a very bad tempered old man... He comes here almost every day. Do you have business to settle with him, sir?"