Chapter 5: Prophecy

WILLIAM laid on his bed that night, staring blankly at the ceiling. His heart was heavy, his mind was cluttered. His men had only ever been killing sirens. Sirens were fast, strong and intelligent creatures. To catch one alive was going to put the entire crew in danger.

This thought bothered him. He got up and paced about the room. There has got to be a way, he thought. As he walked back and forth, Bod said, "Captain, it'll be tough getting a live siren without losing any of our men. I think you should reconsider this."

William looked at him and acknowledged the sailor's reminder. He knew his father had always placed his crew's safety first, and he had to as well. William cannot risk losing any more men to those vile beasts.

"I can't do it. All along we've been killing those sirens before hauling them up on-board. There's no way we can get one alive. They're not like fishes, net wouldn't work on them," William said. He sat back down on his bed in frustration.

"True. I guess nothing comes easy without a risk," Bod agreed. He leaned on a desk with his head hung low, thinking. The room was silent as the two men thought long and hard about what they were to do.

"Bait."

Bod raised his head, "What?"

William remembered his father telling him that it was dangerous to sit in small boats as a siren could easily tip it over. That was why fishermen were in constant danger, but because they stayed close to shore, sirens daren't come close.

"We'll throw a live bait and lure it. We'll get a man to sit in a boat and when the siren appears, we injure it then use the net and haul it up," William smiled. It was the perfect plan.

Bod, though, cringed at his idea. "It's risky, sir. What would the men think about it?"

"Then I'll go."

"No, Captain. I can't allow you to do that." Bod's voice was firm.

Bod proposed another idea and agreed that only if it does not work, would they proceed with William's plan.

The tired men then decided to retire for the night. William blew out the candles and climbed into bed. He tossed and turned a couple of times before drifting off to sleep.

..·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

Water... Lots of water... William glanced around and found himself wading in the ocean. Alone.

A spark of white light appeared ahead of him. It was like a distant star only it was coming closer. William swam back. The spark of light touched the water and floated about the surface, still coming closer to him. It circled around him a few times and then disappeared. William looked around, confused.

Without warning, he was pulled underwater. William tried desperately to swim back up but couldn't. He breathed out and bubbles escaped from his mouth. He held his breath as long as he could. William could feel his lungs banging on his ribcage, begging for air. He could fight the urge no longer. He knew he was going to drown. As he breathed in, he had expected his lungs to be filled with water. Only it wasn't. The water entered his body and left normally. It felt almost like breathing air.

Everything was blurry underwater, but William saw that ball of light again. It was bluish now. The light stood in front of him. He squinted his eyes as it was too bright, and to his astonishment, he saw a face in the light, a very beautiful face.

William... A voice echoed in his head. William looked at the face. Her lips were not moving but she nodded her head telling him that she is speaking to him in his mind.

William... The voice echoed again.

After that, the beautiful face turned into a hideous one. But only with deception. However, death is inevitable...

The light began to fade away and the next thing William knew, his eyes flickered open. Relieved it was only a dream, he sat up just in time to see the morning sunlight filter through the windows. He got out of bed and put on his boots. He wore his black coat and called out to Bod, who was still sound asleep. "Bod, it's time."

The bar was empty. There was only Humphrey, who was sitting by the counter counting his coins, looked up and William nodded at him. "Early morning, I see," he said before calling out. "Aye, lady! Get these men their breakfast!"

Slowly, the crew started to fill the bar. They ate their fill, paid for their stay and left the inn. They made their way to the port and started getting their supplies. When everything was loaded into their dinghies, they got on and rowed their way back to the ship.

The other men on-board pulled them upand they began their daily operation. William steered the ship out as they leftPort Rosemary. He looked straight ahead to the vast ocean, taking in itsexpanse. He only had one casualty in mind–the siren.

Review this prophecy. Go along the lines of the difficulty of choice, and how he would have to choose between love and avenging his father's death. How yet, people will still die regardless of which choice he makes.