1.25. Welcome Home, Deathless

Back in my room, I change out of my white uniform and into my old clothes: a ratty old tank and ripped jeans, still stained with the dirt my mom and I lay in while waiting for the government soldier to finish searching our home. They're clothes I haven't worn since my home was destroyed and my life was turned upside down.

I must have gained some weight on the Immortal, because my jeans hug my hips more tightly than I remember, or perhaps I've just become accustomed to white pajama pants; but I don't care. I feel healthier now, stronger and more energetic. I'm a different Isla than the girl who came here in these clothes.

I own nothing else, so I step out of the room I borrowed for the past few weeks and head to the biology lab to pack up our materials and meet with Declan. The hall is full of Deathless getting their belongings together and chatting with one another. Nate and Gabriela are talking outside his door, and she holds his forearm and tapping it with anxiety.

As I pass them, I hear Nate excuse himself, and a moment later, he is at my side. "Isla, are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah? Why?"

"Um, 'cause you were insane in the immersions today. Are you still angry about yesterday?"

"Oh, could you be referring to your sneak attack and subsequent tattling? Which, by the way, was mostly a lie. Yes, I could've moved, but you were about to cry right in my face. I was being a good friend, so thank you for being the worst."

"So that's a yes, you are still angry." He looks around, and then whispers, "But not angry enough to go nuts like you did in that immersion. You're mad about something else, and you're letting it get to you. I thought we were going to work on controlling that," he whispers.

"I was working on controlling that, yes," I say, pushing open the door for the patio. It's crowded with Deathless survivors and their bags, so Nate and I slide between bodies, continuing our conversation in hushed tones.

"Well, then I think it's safe to say you failed," he says. "What else is going on?"

"Excuse me," I say to a Deathless woman standing in front of the door toward the labs. She inches forward, and we slip back inside. "Nothing else is going on," I lie.

"You don't trust me. I get that. But, c'mon, what's going on?"

"First of all," I say, entering the biology lab, "after yesterday, no, I don't trust you and I never will again. Secondly, nothing is going on, so just leave it."

"Fine, don't talk to me. I'll get it from you later," he says. I wave to Declan, who has already cleared off most of our work station, as a sign to Nate that I'm done with the conversation, but he doesn't take the hint. "Speaking of later, though... Once we get to camp, you'll have to find your dwelling and get the tour and everything, and then I think we're meeting with General Sato at dinner; but I wanted to make plans with you for after dinner."

"I don't know. I usually hang out with my mom and Declan after dinner."

"Okay, after that then. Let me know. I won't push it."

"Thanks. I am going to help Declan pack. You should probably do the same."

"Alright, alright, I get it," he says. Finally. "See you at dinner, and maybe after, if you want, and only if you want." He smiles his crooked smile that would make any other girl proud to have kissed him, but I roll my eyes.

I want to stay mad at him, but there are so many other things to be mad about now. And knowing the leader's plan to put me in harm's way, I'm a little thankful Nate injected me with that new DNA, just in case.