3.7. Fresh Start

Beneath the night sky, the lake glows with reflections of the candles each of us hold, left over from the days when scientific advantages weren't guarantees. Names of people each of us have lost decorate the candles' cream wax. Some only hold a few names, while others, like mine, are nearly full.

"Ben, Nina, Ava, Sato, Nate, Alexander, Hugh, Dr. Patel," mine reads.

Eleanor's has a few more names added: "Dad, Mom, Jacob."

Mom's includes the additions, "Henry, Rebecca, the Smiths, Drew."

Celia's candle reads, "Abuelita, Mami, Papa, Gabriela."

Winston, who has bathed for the occasion, has a candle the names Curie, Alexander, Kevin, and Gabriela on it.

Declan's candle has only one name on it. "Hugh."

But General Sato's memory is listed on nearly every other candle at camp. He is the reason there was a camp in the first place. He was the first rebel and the first Deathless. I read his name over and over again as survivors pass me toward the lake.

Dad is already at the water's edge with some of his new hunting buddies, and Declan waits nervously at the podium set up on the far edge of the lake; but those of us who are more recognizable to the whole group line up on either side of the path to welcome the Deathless as they make their way to the water's edge. Me, Mom, Eleanor, Celia, Winston, Flynn, Dr. Guzman, Jane, and the new General usher everyone in. Aside from the fact that the new General is a woman, I don't know much about her except that she appears to be Middle Eastern, strong, and no nonsense. Daniel hasn't exactly been sharing a lot with me recently, including any information about his new boss, and I haven't been focused enough lately to ask Declan or Mom. With Daniel still nowhere to be found, I can barely even focus on welcoming the Deathless to the lake. Where the hell has he been all day?

As the last Deathless passes me, I catch sight of Daniel jogging down from camp toward us. His candle is completely blank.

"I'll be right down," I tell Mom, Eleanor, and Celia as the others start toward the lake. "I just want to talk to Daniel before I head down."

Mom kisses my forehead, Eleanor touches my shoulder, and Celia smiles briefly before they leave me alone to talk to Daniel as he comes to a halt in front of me.

"Hey," I say, though it comes out as more of a question.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." His voice is light and tired, and his eyes look puffier than normal. Has he been crying? He takes a step toward the lake, but I press my palm to his chest to stop him. His heart is racing.

"Where have you been all day?" I whisper.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't say anything to me before you left this morning, and then I didn't hear from you all day."

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I wanted to get to training early today, so I didn't really have time to talk."

I breathe away the anger building in my chest, and it cools to something more frightening: uncertainty. "What's going on with us?" I ask.

In the glow from my candle I can see his eyes moisten. "There are some things I need to work through," he says. "I spent all of my free time today studying my detectors and trying to figure out how Gunther could have manipulated them. I can't figure it out, and it's killing me."

Declan's voice echoes from the far side of the lake. "Thank you, Deathless, for coming and paying your respects to all those you've lost."

"You'll figure it out," I tell Daniel, slipping my free hand down his arm and clasping his fingers in mine. "And if not, maybe Winston can help you. Let's just focus on the funeral for now. Funerals are important," I say, echoing my dad. I tilt my lit candle to his until it catches fire. "C'mon, let's go."