Chapter 10 - Blows to the Head

"Start tapping into the feeds, Odin," Jake said. He sat down on the couch on the lower bridge. The big screen in front of him came to life with an image of the cafeteria in the main dome. Smaller images from other security cameras focused on the same room appeared in boxes at the top of the screen.

Evvie entered the room an instant later carrying a medium-sized bowl. She sat down on the couch, keeping some space between her and Jake.

Jake looked at her, then at the bowl. It was filled with what appeared to be chocolate-covered popcorn. "This isn't a movie, y'know," he said to her, still looking at the bowl.

"Hey, I've been on strict regimen on the tour. I haven't had this in over a year."

Jake frowned for a moment. On the one hand, he was pleased that she was indulging in real teenaged behavior. On the other, he was displeased that this was the time for such behavior. He opted to go with the latter feeling and said, "This is work, Evvie, not entertainment."

"I know. But it's gonna be boring, and I'll fall asleep if I don't have something to eat while I watch. I'll share, if you want some."

"No thanks. Just eat quietly." Jake's attention returned to the screen.

The image in front of them showed a gathering of people in the cafeteria. The Rosens were in the center of the assembly, but not giving orders. They were leaving that duty to the "committee" that had organized the pending march. Once the committee was certain no one else was going to show up, they began handing out signs with slogans on them.

"I did those," Evvie told Jake.

"Did what?"

"Those signs."

Jake looked. The signs demanded restoration of breaks, reduction of work periods, and better treatment overall. They appeared to be lacking in obvious teenage touches like cute lettering and frivolous colors. "You designed and printed those yourself? I'm impressed."

"Well, Odin helped with the production."

And no doubt restrained your inclinations, Jake thought. He mouthed "Thank you" to the upper deck of the bridge.

Once the dozen or so signs were distributed among the crowd, they formed into three lines. At a nod from one of the committee members, the lines began to move through the cafeteria towards one of the corridors. The leaders of the march began to chant, "Hey hey, ho ho, unfair treatment's got to go." A moment later the rest of the marchers picked up on the chant.

"Where are the guards and the bots?" Evvie asked.

"Odin?"

"The guardbots are withdrawn from areas once an area has ceased being occupied," the computer said. "No doubt after tonight that policy will be reviewed."

"And the guards?"

"Currently trying to obtain orders."

"Keep us informed," Jake instructed.

The marchers entered the corridor that led to the quarters of the various foremen. The dome's corridors generally radiated out from a central point, then connected these spokes with an outer rim corridor. It was a standard feature of such domes that allowed residents to get anywhere on a level without having to worry about their main access corridor being blocked. In this instance, it allowed the marchers to head past those quarters and return to the cafeteria without having to turn around and retrace their steps.

Odin arranged the view on the screen so that the front of the march was the large view. The smaller images were side and back views. As the marchers approached the end of the corridor he replaced one of the side views to an image of the cafeteria. It showed a half-dozen guards assembled around one of the executives. Once the guards were in place the executive led them along the route the marchers had taken.