Chapter 6 - For Freedom and Big Sales Figures

“We have now achieved orbit over Antioch Two.”

“Thank you, Odin.” Jake turned to Sid and Evvie, sitting across from him on the couch. He was surprised that the two wanted to talk to him, but also profoundly suspicious. Here they were, over the planet that just a week ago Evvie found out he was going to liberate once he’d left her employment. The only thing that could have made this truly worrisome was that Evvie’s mother wasn’t there too. Apparently she was busy with an interview that she couldn’t avoid. Her absence didn’t ease Jake’s concerns one millimeter.

“What did you two want to talk to me about?” he asked. He tried not to sound like he was giving anything away.

“Well, Jakie,” Sid said, “Evvie’s told me about what you’re planning to do here after the tour.”

“She what?”

Sid raised his hands quickly. “Don’t sweat it, buddy! We’re not here to rain on your parade or anything. Matter of fact, I’m pleased as the winner of the galactic lottery that you’re helping those colonists down there!”

Jake was stunned for an instant. “You are?”

“Absolutely. Awfully decent of you, dude. It’s just too darn bad that everyone doesn’t share you concern for the welfare of others.”

“Thanks.” I have a bad feeling about this, Jake thought.

Sid smiled. “Jake, Evvie’s got something she was to ask you.”

Evvie sat up straight. “Jake, would you be willing to let me help you in this revolution thing?”

Jake’s jaw moved, but he couldn’t even manage to get a squeak out. Thoughts, questions, and finally replies raced around his brain. Words were inadequate to the task. At long last, all Jake could say was, “Why?”

“Tell him, Sid.”

“Right, kiddo.” Sid rose. “Think of it, Jake.” His arms began to flutter. “In the whole history of music, in the whole history of human culture, there’s been many celebs willing to give creds to a cause. Speak for a cause. Even get arrested for a cause. But never has there been a star willing to risk their life and fight for a cause!

“Think of it: Evvie will take part in a revolution. She will make a stand for freedom that will...will be bigger than any stand taken by any celebrity in the whole span of recorded time!

“Of course, the actual danger to Evvie will have to be minimized as much as possible. She wants to help this revolution, but not become a martyr or anything. I’m sure you can figure out ways for her take an active role without putting her life at extreme risk, Jake. You’re a smart man.

“If you’re still not certain, well, think of all those great men and women who have fought for freedom. George Washington. Winston Churchill. Lech Walesa. Vaclav Havel. I could go on for hours. Now, think about this. To their exalted ranks, you will be able to add two new names: Jake Bonner and Evangelyne Martini.

“And we mean that, Jake. We are prepared to grant you five percent of the gross profits of music rights, maybe as much as ten. We will allow you to name your share of the drama and licensing rights. The memoir rights to your story will be exclusively yours. That’s on top of what the people planet-side are paying you, don’t forget.”

Evvie’s eyes met Jake’s. “So, Jake, will you sign me up?”

Jake stared off into the distance. “I think I am going to be sick.” He sighed. “I’m going to regret this, but fine. You want in, you’re in. But I give the orders, right?”