Chapter 4 - Behind the Curtain is Dust

“Sid, why do I have to go along with Evvie on this shoot? Can you give me one good reason?”

Jake was not terribly pleased when Evvie’s agent informed him that he had to accompany her to the recording of a promotional infomercial. He believed that he was not a bodyguard, but merely a gloried chauffeur. Getting an explanation was testing his patience, so he came right out and asked Sid directly.

“Okay, fine.” Sid’s normally ebullient manner was clearly strained. “A friend of Evvie’s is planet-side. A friend that her mother and I would just as soon not be a friend, if you catch the gist of my hint, Jake.”

Oh, swell, Jake thought. I bet this “friend” is of the male gender, and that her being seen with him wouldn’t enhance Evvie’s image.

“Send me a picture of this friend,” he said, “and I’ll keep my eyes open.”

“Done and done. But listen, Jake, it’s not that this person is likely to show up at the shoot. The studio there has everything in hand. It’s just that, well, y’know, Evvie might tell you she’s going somewhere, when actually...”

“Yes, I know.” It’s called behaving like a teenager, you twit. Oh, well. Better not endanger this meal ticket. “Don’t worry, Sid. We’ll go down, she’ll do this shoot, we’ll teleport back up, and immediately head for the next stop on the tour.”

Sid flashed a thumb up on the screen. “Jake, you the rocket. Later.”

Jake smiled to Sid, but as soon as the screen went dark he said, “And you’re the asteroid field.” He let out an exasperated breath. “Odin, put the ship into auto-control mode. Standard surface drill.”

“All systems are functioning at prime levels, so there shouldn’t be any problems. If something does occur, I’ll contact you.”

“As long as it’s something you can’t handle.”

“Of course.”

Jake tapped the intercom keypad. “Evvie, it’s about time to teleport down.”

“’Kay.”

“I’ll be coming with you this time.”

“Oh, Jake...”

“Look, I’m not thrilled, either. But orders are orders.”

“Geez, it’s not like I’m dating Mac.”

I knew it. “Look, either Sid and your mother have your best interests at heart, or they have your image to consider. If I don’t follow orders, I could lose this job, or even get sued. So don’t complain to me. Be in the teleport room in five minutes.”

“Awright.”

Jake let out another exasperated breath. “Odin, don’t ever agree to let another agent on this ship ever again.”

“Only if you promise to follow my guidelines for your personal finances.”

Jake let out a strangled cry of frustration.

***

Ten minutes later Jake was watching Evvie get ready to shoot her infomercial. He was somewhat surprised that the process was to start so quickly. He had assumed that time would be spent before getting Evvie into the proper outfit, a professional would apply her makeup, and the director would take everyone through a rehearsal. As it turned out, however, most of these details had been worked out before Skuld had even gotten into orbit. Evvie’s lines had been sent to her days ago, along with her outfit and makeup. The whole thing had been worked out with video software in advance. All everyone had to do now was show up and hit their marks.