Shattered Ball

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Flos Domum Regis
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo stepped into the foreign building with Asha and Mairin close behind. Every inch of the place was covered with flowers and string lights. Dozens of senators and their attendants milled about, talking and dancing. Guards were positioned around the room as well.

"Senator Chuchi!" Chancellor Palpatine called. He extended his hands towards her, in a welcoming gesture.

"Chancellor," she replied with a smile.

"I'm glad to see you here. Enjoy your evening." The Chancellor dipped his head towards her, before moving off towards a few other guests.

Riyo turned towards Asha and Mairin. "What do you two want to do?"

Mairin checked her wrist comm, attached to her fingerless and elbow length gloves. "Actually, I think I need to go find a refresher." She gave Riyo an apologetic smile and dashed off.

Asha let out a groan of disgust. "She's probably going to find that clone of hers."

"So what if she is?"

Asha looked at her incredulously. "So what? My Lady, I mean no disrespect to you, but you're rather naive of Mairin's ways." Riyo crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows skeptically. "I know how...serious...things have become between them. I also know the risks she's taking. If you didn't know about this, I suppose it's my job to tell you. This relationship of hers is interfering with her work. It's casting a bad light on you, on Pantora, and on Mairin. She's lucky they haven't been caught yet."

"Asha, if you knew Mairin at all, you'd know that she is loyal to six people in her life. She would do anything for them. She would protect them with her life. Those six people are her mother, father, sister, Jairo, me, and herself. I can't control what she does, nor do I want to. She'll make mistakes and learn from them. She'll make good choices and bad ones. As her friend, I just have to be there to support her and help her where I can."

"But...the rumors. Surely you've heard them?"

"I didn't take you as the kind to believe rumors. You were always the most level headed of us," Riyo replied. "I'm done discussing this. Leave Mairin alone and mind your own business. Unless she does something that is immediately life threatening to you, me, herself, or anyone else, I don't want to hear it."

Riyo spun on her heel and marched off, leaving a gawking Asha behind her. She spotted Padmé soon enough. "Riyo!" Padme called, waving her over. She quickly joined her friend. "You look flustered. Are you all right?"

"Oh, fine," She waved a dismissive hand. "It was just some more drama between Mairin and Asha."

"Do they not get along?" Bail asked.

"No, they never have. Mairin is a little too...everything for Asha."

"That's one way of putting it," Padmé laughed.

"Well, if you ladies will excuse me, I'll continue making my rounds." Bail nodded to them and moved away.

"Irel contacted me today," Riyo said.

"Really? How is she?" Padmé asked.

"She's doing well. We didn't get to talk long, but she promised to visit the next time they're on Coruscant."

"It would be nice to see her again. I'd like to get to know her a little better."

Several months earlier, right before Fox had been assigned to protecting Riyo, Irel Kirsi had filled the bodyguard position. She and her padawan, Ziyah Comi, had helped capture Cad Bane, who had been attempting to assassinate Riyo. Padmé had helped with the plan to capture Bane as well, and then had assisted them when they brought an appeal to the Chancellor, regarding Irel's commander, Axe.