Justice Served

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    It was late the next afternoon before an emergency session of the Senate was called. Riyo and Mairin had found time to go to the Jedi Temple and get themselves back to normal. Mairin had practically screamed with relief when the voice changing device was pulled from her throat. Riyo didn't blame her.

    Someone knocked on her office door. "Come in," she called. The door hissed open and Fox entered. He tucked his helmet beneath an arm.

    "Your speeder is waiting. The session will start soon," he said. Fox turned to leave.

    "Wait!" Riyo called. She hurried around her desk and joined him. "I wanted to thank you for what you've done."

    "I just did my job, Senator."

    Disappointment flickered across her face briefly. She masked it, though. I guess we're back to being a senator and a solider, she sighed to herself. "That's not what I meant. You did your job, yes, but I know I didn't make that easy for you. I was...stubborn and rebellious."

    "I won't contradict you," he chuckled.

    "I know that a lot of the things we did went against your mandate and put you out of your way. Thank you for doing them anyway. Thank you for helping me capture Far."

    He glanced at her and smiled. "You're welcome."

Mairin was already waiting inside the speeder, along with Asha, another handmaiden. Riyo jumped in beside them, letting Fox take the front. Soon, they were soaring across Coruscant.

"Do you have your speech prepared?" Asha asked, ever the thoughtful attendant.

Riyo shook her head. "I decided not to plan one this time. I'll let the words come to me." Asha dipped her head.

They reached the Senate building soon. Riyo spotted a prison shuttle landing close by. Far Modem was escorted off of it, flanked by members of the Coruscant Guard. Fox drifted closer to her side as they fell in step beside the group. Riyo was relieved when Far was taken to a separate box, rather than her own.

Fox, Mairin, and Asha followed her into the Pantoran box. Chairman Papanoida was present as well. "Chairman!" Riyo exclaimed when she saw him. "I had no idea you'd be here."

"Chancellor Palpatine contacted me yesterday, after you said you'd captured Far. I had to be here, Senator," Papanoida replied.

"Thank you for coming." Riyo dipped her head respectfully.

They fell silent as the Chancellor's seat emerged from the floor below. Mas Amedda spread his hands in the air, ordering silence in the Senate. Riyo cast a quick glance around the room. Some relief washed over her when she spied Padmé in her usual seat. It seemed her visit to Naboo was over.

"The Chair recognizes the Senator of Pantora at this time," Chancellor Palpatine announced.

Riyo took her place at the front of the box. She pressed a button on the control panel and it drifted out into the center of the room. She drew in a steadying breath, as she did each time when she was about to address the Senate. Far Modem's box drifted out beside hers. The Trade Federation seat remained attached to the wall.

"Members of the Senate, I come before you not as a victim, but as a survivor," Riyo began. "You are all aware of the attacks on my life. They were serious enough that Jedi involvement was requested, and later, the protection of the Coruscant Guard." She gestured to Fox, standing at her side.