Mending Pains

Lah'mu: 18 BBY
Farmstead
Riyo Chuchi

    Several months had passed. True to her word, Riyo had asked to stay with Mairin and Jairo and they had let her. They'd chosen to make their home in an old farmstead on Lah'mu, a planet remote enough that no one in the Empire would think to search for them there.

    It was there that her son was born only three months after his father's death. Riyo sat in a chair near a window and rocked Corran. He stretched his arms and cooed, while still managing to stay asleep.

    She could already tell he would look similar to Fox. His hair was a dark shade of blue and Mairin had seemed certain that he'd have Fox's eyes. Riyo kissed his forehead softly. Even if you don't, at least you have the name he chose, she thought to herself.

    Across the room, Jairo was playing with Riyah. Riyo still found it odd when he spoke, although Mairin assured her that it had become common since Riyah's birth.

    Riyo smiled as Riyah jumped onto Jairo and tackled him to the floor. He held her tiny arms, balancing her as she crawled onto his chest.

    Mairin appeared beside her a moment later. "You got another transmission from Che Amanwe."

    "If it's about the new bill, I'll see to it later."

    "It's not." Riyo glanced at the datapad and took it. Mairin took Corran as she stood and entered her room.

    Riyo opened the transmission quickly. A video of Che Amanwe began to play. "Senator, I hope this doesn't seem rude of us, but my father believes it's time for you to fully return to your duties. I understand how hard things have been for you, but perhaps keeping yourself busy will help?" Che Amanwe smiled. "There are a few within the Senate who would be glad to see you again. Senator Organa and his wife have a daughter now. I'm certain he'd love to introduce you to her. Please respond as soon as you're able."

    The recording finished playing. Riyo pursed her lips and nodded slowly. "I suppose it is time for me to go back." She left her datapad on her bed and returned to the main room. Mairin and Jairo looked at her expectantly. "Che Amanwe and Chairman Papanoida want me to return to my duties as soon as possible."

    "Are you going to?" Jairo asked.

    Riyo nodded. "I've been gone long enough. Che Amanwe will want to return home. She has her own duties there and she's put them off for months for me."

    "Still." Mairin returned Corran to her. "Will you be all right if you go?"

    "Of course I will. Delaney is there and so is Clay." She didn't miss Jairo's skeptical look, but she chose to ignore it. "I'll leave in the morning."

    "I'll start packing your things," Mairin volunteered. She disappeared into Riyo's room.

    Jairo stood and settled Riyah on his hip. "If you need to, you can always come back."

    "I know."

    "Why do you want to continue to serve the Empire? I know a lot of my brothers have left already."

    Riyo thought for a moment. "I had decided to continue serving as a senator even before everything happened. Even if I wanted to back out, I don't think I could. I couldn't let down Chairman Papanoida or my people. Besides, Che Amanwe told me that the Emperor is appointing a new Chairman, someone loyal to him. My people need a true voice in the Senate and it won't be whomever Palpatine appoints."

    Jairo inclined his head. "I suppose that's true. Still, be wary about what you say and how you say it. Palpatine and Vader won't hesitate to get rid of anyone they see as a problem."