CHAPTER 39

Emma didn't stick around too long. Everyone had seen. Her parents saw Eamon kiss her. His parents saw him kiss her. Larissa saw Eamon kiss her.

Joey saw Eamon kiss her.

It had taken Emma twenty seconds to realize it was a mistake to have Eamon kiss her. It was however, twenty seconds too long. She'd pulled away to a silent ballroom. Larissa's screech was what eventually broke the silence. She'd stormed towards Emma with murder in her eyes. Eamon had been quick to react and caught Larissa before any damage could be made. Emma could only stand and watch her sister thrash against Eamon's hold. That was when Emma looked around her. She could see her parent's frown. She saw the Mickelson's glare at her. But she couldn't see Joey.

She'd looked everywhere. Larissa had screamed at Emma and Eamon, but all Emma could think about was Joey. She wanted to see his bald head and bright green eyes. She needed his clarity to help her with her fogged mind.

Emma caught her mom's gaze and saw her frown drop lower. Her mother was disappointed. She walked towards her mother and away from her murderous sister. She tried to speak but words were clogged in her throat. "He left," her father said. Emma looked at him pleadingly. "I don't blame him. That was reckless, even by your standards." Her dad was angry. She didn't blame him.

"I know," she whispered. "I'm not even sure how it happened."

"He's hurt." Emma knew. "He cares for you, more than Eamon." She hated how deep the words cut. She knew he was right, shed known the truth for a long time.

"I know. It took me too long to realize."

"So, go make it right." Her father nudged her with his shoulder. "I'm certain he'll take you back."

She smiled at him. "You think?" He nodded. Emma stretched to place a kiss on his cheek. She bent to kiss her mothers' cheek and moved towards the exit.

"Stop right there!" Emma froze. She turned around and saw Larissa glare at her. Eamon was right beside her with a tight grip on her forearm. "How could you!"

Emma clenched her fists. She'd had enough of her sister. "Don't blame me for your boyfriends' mistakes!"

"You kissed him!"

"He kissed me!" she argued. "I didn't have much time to turn away."

Larissa scoffed. "Just admit it. You loved it! You've been wanting Eamon for years." She laughed manically. "It's why you joined the stupid contest, wasn't it?"

Emma gasped. "How did you-"

Larissa cackled. "You really think you're so subtle? I didn't need a stupid radio show to figure it out. Unlike my idiot boyfriend, I knew from the beginning. Subtly is not your strong suit."

"Why did you never say anything?"

Larissa sighed and pretended to examine her nails. "Why should I? I knew he wouldn't choose you and I knew you'd never do anything. Besides, it was fun to taunt you with the relationship instead."

Emma's glare was viciously trained at her sister. "You played me."

Larissa shrugged. "I was the good sister here. I didn't embarrass you about your silly crush. I definitely didn't steal your boyfriend. Let's not forget who's really the bitch here."

"You," they said simultaneously.

Larissa screeched and stomped her foot. "You're the horrible sister. I refuse to be tainted by your adultery. Apologize for trying to steal my boyfriend."

Emma gape. "You can't be serious," she mumbled under her breath. "I don't owe you anything," she said louder. "He kissed me. He admitted that he had feelings for me. I didn't make any moves. If anything, he owes me an apology." Emma pointed her finger towards Eamon. He stood beside Larissa with slouched shoulders and a guilty expression. It meant nothing to Emma.

Larissa laughed manically. "Eamon would never stoop so low. He knows what's at stake. He knows better than to slump with someone of your class."

Emma spluttered. "We're in the same freaking class you idiot!"

"I'm better and you know it. I'm smarter and classier. You wouldn't know good wine if someone threw it at you. You think a good time is getting drunk at Billy's," she sneered. "At least I have better standards."

Emma stared gobsmacked at her sister. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. It made her laugh. Larissa truly felt she was better than Emma. Emma had the higher education qualification and all Larissa had achieved was a beauty certificate. After failing twice. Yet, she claimed to be smarter. Larissa thought she had more class because she knew the expensive brands. When Emma watched her flirt with other men around Eamon, swear at strangers and insult women who walked around her. Emma thought class was the last word to describe her. Larissa still saw Billy's bar as a place for the low life's of the city but to Emma, it was a place of fun. She'd always made great memories when at Billy's.

Emma smiled softly. Meeting Joey was one of her best memories from Billy's. He'd changed her life in more ways than she could count.

Emma looked back at her sister who stood huffing. Though Lariissa stool crazed, Emma had lost her fight. She'd lost it years ago. Her mother had always told her to choose her battles wisely. Sometimes a battle wasn't worth the effort, especially if you had no chance of ending it. Fighting with Larissa was a waste of her energy. Her sister wouldn't change. She was stubborn in her ways. She was an animal who refused to lose its spots.

"Goodbye Larissa," she said plainly and turned to leave.

"You're not allowed to leave." Emma ignored Larissa. She could hear her following. I said you aren't done here. Hey!" Emma walked faster. Larissa followed her out of the building. Emma was quicker and found a cab before her sister could reach her. Emma kept her eyes forward as the car pulled away. It felt metaphorical. She felt like she was leaving behind more than the venue.

"Where to?" asked the driver.

Emma gave him the address. "I need to find my Romeo," she said with a smile.

Finally, something felt right.