CHAPTER 21

Joey panicked. Jeff panicked. They wouldn't leave her side until paramedics could arrive. Emma was told to simply lay there, silently freaking out and worrying that her night would end with her in a hospital bed. The paramedics were taking too long to arrive. During the wait, Joey used the time to interview Jeff about the date.

"So, what do you think of our Juliet?" he asked.

Emma found it endearing when Jeff's white cheeks bruised scarlet under the rain. He was crouched at her feet with his arms over his head. He wouldn't look at them. "She's great."

Emma stared off to the side. Joey's interrogation made her feel awkward. "Would you want to see her again?" asked Joey. His voice hard hardened slightly. Emma chalked it up to the loud rain around them. She didn't want to read too much into his words.

Jeff cleared his throat and looked everywhere but at them. "She's great," he repeated. Emma frowned. "So, Juliet, you're doing all this to get over a guy?"

Emma hated that he avoided the topic by diverting attention to her. "Not quite," she mumbled.

"Yes," said Joey for her. "She needs to get over the ass."

"You've never met him," she argued.

"I don't need to. It's wrong what you're doing."

"I'm not doing anything wrong." She yelled, throwing her hands up. Joey's arms shot towards her quickly.

"Stay still." He said sternly. She rolled her eyes.

"So," Jeff interrupted slowly. "This isn't a publicity stunt?"

"No," she said. "Unfortunately, the embarrassment of this whole charade is real." She threw her eyes towards Joey and was surprised to see him look ashamed.

"It makes for a good show," he said grumpily. Jeff shrugged his shoulders, whether, in indifference or agreement, Emma wasn't sure.

Loud stomping suddenly came from down the hill. Eventually, some leaves moved, and two paramedics came through. They were quick and efficient as they moved towards her. Joey was reluctant to move at first. The lady assured him calmly that they would do everything they could to help his girlfriend. He moved away with a blush.

He never corrected them and neither did Emma.

The paramedics worked quickly to secure her neck in a brace and then began examining her body. While they worked, the woman asked Joey questions about what had happened. Emma noticed how they paid no attention to Jeff. It seemed the smaller man was alright with it. Eventually, they had her on a stretcher, wrapped in a blanket, and were carefully making their way back down the slippery mountain.

Due to the horrid terrain and rain, Joey and Jeff had to help hold the stretcher and guide everyone back safely. When the end was in sight, Emma was placed in an ambulance set to rush towards Fairview Hospital. She protested loudly and begged them to take her anywhere else. They said it was the closest.

Joey asked to ride with them. When he'd seen her panic, he looked at her with confusion. "What's wrong with Fairview?"

Emma bit her lip. "Eamon," she said simply.

Joey rolled his eyes. "What, you don't want your precious Eamon to see you in such a state? What a pity."

She glared at him. "I don't need your attitude. For your information, I'm scared because he'd call my parents and Larissa. I don't need them seeing me with you."

Joey's mood darkened substantially, and he stared coldly at her. "Heaven forbid they see you with a man and think you have a life. I forget that you have to be a nun to date Eamon." His sneer caught her off guard.