CHAPTER 25

After the starting buzzer sounded, Emma shot forward in her seat. She laid her hands flat on the table and glared at Joey. "What are you doing here?" she growled at him.

Joey leaned forward and put his own hands flat on the table. His fingers were a hairpin away from brushing hers. Emma had to force herself not to get flustered by the proximity. "I'm not here to spy or for protection," he answered simply.

Emma frowned. "Then what are you here for?" she asked.

Joey leaned back a bit, unease now making him jittery. "About that," he trailed off.

Emma went back to glaring at him. "What did you do?"

His hands shot up. "Nothing. I swear it." Emma continued to stare at him. Eventually, he sighed. "It seems our interactions on the radio have sparked something."

"Sparked what?"

Joey leaned in to answer her when suddenly, a loud obnoxious horn blared. Emma ignored the sound and waited for Joey's answer. Joey, however, sat straight with a frightened look on his face. Emma heard scuffing around her. She turned to look around her. Her eyes bulged when she caught every table in a heated lip lock. Just as quickly, her expression changed to match Joey's. She didn't know what to do.

A man dressed formally with a staff badge appeared behind Joey. His face was displeased. "You heard the instructions. When the horn blares, you are to kiss," he said to them.

Emma shook her head violently. "I don't want to."

The man frowned. "If you don't, we'll have to escort you out and request a refund as it is a violation to the rules." Emma blanched at his answer. She turned to Joey who looked resigned.

"Fine," she muttered. She climbed out of her seat and moved towards Joey. She wanted to simply bend down and kiss him but, he had other ideas. She should have known.

When she was in reach, Joey pulled her down onto his lap. Within seconds his lips were on hers, fierce and hungry. Emma was taken aback. She thought they'd simply sit there awkwardly with their lips pressed against each other until the horn blared. She did not expect Joey to make it worth her while and boy was he.

Emma melted into the kiss quickly and let her body go lax against his. She wound her arms around his neck and pushed against him. Joey groaned against her lips. His hands moved from her waist to around her shoulders and in her hair. He was grabbing at her thick dark hair roughly. It made Emma's sin burn hotter.

His tongue brushed against the top of her mouth and Emma felt numb. He was a damn good kisser. She was lost to him, to the emotions and the lust he brought out of her.

All too soon, another horn sounded. The second horn seemed softer and further away to Emma. It probably had more to do with her heartbeat blaring louder in her ears. Eventually, Joey broke the kiss. Emma's eyes fluttered open and she was surprised to see Joey already staring up at her. His eyes were soft, his lips thick, wet, and red. His chest rose heavily as he tried to catch his breath. Emma was shocked at how much she loved the feeling of being against him.

"This is why," he whispered. Emma could feel his words brush over her lips. It had her wanting to lean in again.

"What?" she asked. Her brain seemed to short circuit after his kiss.

"This is why I'm here," he explained. "You can't kiss me like that and tell me you don't feel it too."

She stiffened and pulled her hands back to her lap. When she moved to stand up, Joey gripped her waist hard. "Let me go," she said through gritted teeth.

He shook his head. "Don't run away. That kiss, and the others we've shared," he trailed off. "You can't tell me there's nothing here. Just admit it."

"I don't know what you're talking about."