14. You're Only as Strong as Your Morning Coffee

   Thump.

   Thump.

   Somebody was thumping at my door.

   I opened one eye and dragged my phone towards me, face still buried in my pillow. The numbers glowed back at me as they came into focus. It was five in the morning. Jetlag was a bitch… and so was whoever was making that noise.

   There was another thump, and then silence.

   I sat up in bed abruptly and blinked. My body felt like it had run a marathon and I wasn’t even hungover. I sat in silence, waiting for the thump again and debated whether or not I should open the door. My eyes widened. The fans couldn’t have found a way inside, could they? 

   I rolled out of bed and slipped on a pair of shorts and a jumper, before opening the door a crack, just wide enough to peek through. It wasn’t the fans. I stuck my head out completely when I realised what it was.

   Niall was already awake and looked more energetic than anyone had the right to be before the sun was up. He was wearing a white singlet and shorts with a green snapback, that I was beginning to recognize formed a part of his uniform. It appeared that the noise came from the penny board on which he stood, as he sailed up and down the hallway leisurely.

   The ‘thump’ sounded again as he wobbled off the board and sent it rolling towards my door. I stopped it with my foot and nearly skidded backwards on the wheels, reminiscent of somebody slipping on a banana peel.

   “Oh, hey! Careful there,” Niall grinned, retracting the hands he’d lifted to catch me mid-air. His smile was so contagious that I forgave him instantly and rolled the board back.

   He caught it with his foot and scratched the nape of his neck sheepishly. “Sorry, did I wake ya?”

   “Nope,” I lied. “Jetlag.”

   “There’s breakfast out there, if you’re looking.” He pointed a thumb to the kitchenette, where I noticed a line of pastries, cereal and fresh fruit.

   I leaned out the door with a hopeful look on my face. “Coffee?”

   “Yeah, just put on a fresh pot.”

   “Is everyone still asleep?” I whispered, realising suddenly that besides the thumping, the bus was silent, which was next to impossible considering its current occupants.   

   He grinned. “Nope, you’re the last one here, love, minus Zayn of course. He won’t be up until one of us wakes him.”

   “I’m the last one up at five a.m?” My eyes widened.

   “Yeah, and actually, I slept in a little bit.” Niall added, a thoughtful look on his face. He laughed at my dropped jaw. “Don’t think too much about it, we’ve been livin’ like this for three years. None of us gets more than four hours shuteye nowadays.”

   “Four hours?”

   Oh, man… coffee. I was going to need so much coffee.

   “Of course Zayn still needs to be dragged out by his ankles,” Niall glanced at the door at the end of the hall. “But we’re gettin’ real creative at ways to wake him up.” His eyes glinted with what I registered was his prank face.

   “So, where’s everyone gone?” Niall followed me towards the kitchen and threw himself onto the couch.

   “Harry and Liam are outside training with Mark, Louis’ gettin’ fitted for something and the rest of us are here.” He pointed towards the corner of the kitchen where the coffee pot sat, knowing exactly what I was looking for.