2. Passing Out is Peaceful, Waking up's a Bitch.

   Was I dead?

   My head throbbed as my eyes opened slowly, taking in a pair of the greenest eyes I'd ever seen. My gaze travelled further, and paused on a mouth that was set into a tense line, before tracing the angled planes of a jaw.

   Harry Styles.

   What was Harry Styles doing here? Is this what Heaven was supposed to look like? A member of a boy band stood by to greet you?

   It occurred to me that if this was Heaven, it was annoyingly un-peaceful.

   Harry Styles. One Direction. A gunshot. Screaming. Bank robbery...

   Everything flooded back. The noise was deafening. Horns honked in the distance; overlapped by sirens and shouting, whistles and mayhem. The air smelled metallic, like smog and rain. There were people everywhere.

   I heard footsteps and yelling as they ran back and forth, like headless chickens filled with panic.

   "She's awake!"

   I blinked a few times.

   Oh boy.

   You know when a character faints in a movie and wakes up with a circle of heads around them? Well, that was what was happening right now. Except one of those heads staring down at me was Harry Styles. Or an incredible Harry Styles look-alike.

   There's something that never happens in the movies.

   Ow.

   Something sharp dug painfully into my upper back. I sat up abruptly, only to feel the tug of a cord pull me back down. The floating heads all surged forward in worry.

   "Whoa, steady there." Harry placed a firm hand on my shoulder as he eased me back down.

   Anxiety prickled through me at the thought of not being able to move.

   "Ava Price?" A middle-aged man asked. He had a huge moustache. He was basically a moustache on legs.

   I blinked up at him. Ava. Right, that was me.

   "I'm Doctor Prollman. You were just held hostage in a bank robbery where you were injured. Harry here, says that you were thrown to the floor pretty hard, so we were reluctant to move you too far from the scene in case of spinal damage."

   Somewhere down the road someone had strapped an oxygen mask to my face. My breath caught as I heard his words.

   Spinal damage?

   I took a mental check of my limbs and attempted to wiggle my toes. I sighed in relief. It hurt like a bitch, but no, there were no broken bones. I'd broken plenty of bones before and learnt to recognise the feeling. Nope, no paralysis for me, just a bitch of a headache.

   "Is she going to be alright?" Harry asked, raking a hand through his trademark curls.

   "Both her pulse and her vitals are fine." A blonde woman assured him. "And it's a miracle that there are no broken bones. She's strong. Strong and lucky."

   Why were they talking about me like I wasn't here? The hospital board I was lying on was a particularly heinous shade of fluorescent orange, so there was no way they could ignore me.

   "I'm fine." I choked out. I practically ripped the oxygen mask off my face, I was starting to feel claustrophobic. "Can I get up? I haven’t broken anything."