7. The Early Bird Catches the Worm. To be Honest, I'd Rather Sleep in.

You’re insecure! Don’t know what for! You’re turning heads when you walk through the do-o-or!”

   Screaming woke me up.

   I groaned and rolled towards the noise. With my eyes still shut, I tried to hit the snooze button on my alarm. I frowned, only half conscious, as my hand slapped the edge of the bedside table blindly, hitting a lamp, then a clock and then something hot… it made an ear-shattering CLANG as I hit it.

   What the f–

   I yelped as I tumbled off the left side of the bed and hit the floor with a loud thump. I swore as my eyes adjusted to the light and found myself staring at the ceiling, dazed. The sheets lay tangled at my feet. Ellie stumbled into the room, anchoring herself upright on the door frame.

   “What’s going on? Is there an earthquake?!”

   She looked like a deranged squirrel. Her eyes were half shut and her short, brown hair stood up on her head in tufts, as if she’d been electrocuted. I sat up and realised exactly where I was.

   Oh yeah, so much for the strange dream I'd been having. The distant memory of a gunshot echoed in my head. Apparently it was all real and coming back to bite me in the ass. I was lying in a hotel room, courtesy of a robbery and One Direction. Plus, the noise that had woken me up wasn’t just screaming, it sounded like singing coming from the window outside.

   “YOU DON’T KNOW YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL!”

   “Make them stop.” Ellie moaned, slumped against the doorframe in her plaid pyjamas. “You have the power now.” Her eyes drooped closed and she let out an obnoxiously loud yawn. “With great power, comes great responsibility…”

   “Ellie. You just quoted ‘Spiderman’.”

   We are so not morning people.

   I stood up unsteadily to investigate the foreign object on my table. I had no idea how I’d missed it before. There was a silver breakfast tray next to my bed… a white, china plate covered by an intricately carved silver dome used to keep food warm.

   Ellie’s eyes widened. “Where the hell did that come from?” She whipped her head left and right, as if she’d catch the culprit hiding in the closet.

   “I have no idea…” I murmured, slightly unnerved about the fact that a stranger had stood beside me while I was asleep. I lifted the lid hesitantly, as if unveiling a bomb. Bacon, fluffy eggs and two thick slices of toast sat on the plate. They smelt incredible and looked like a vision from a breakfast ad. Ellie gasped and sprinted back to her room.

   “I have one too!” She squealed from behind the wall.

   I took the plate into the living area and helped myself to a piece of bacon. Unfortunately, you could still hear the crowd singing outside, loud as ever.

   “They’ve been singing since six this morning, just so you know.” Ellie bounced onto the couch beside me, her mouth full of bread. I glanced at the time. My eyes widened.

   “Shit, it’s already noon!” I raced off the couch and into my room to change. “How did it get so late?”

   “Well, let’s see.” Ellie bit a piece of bacon thoughtfully. “You’re a heavy sleeper even on your best days… so, add a late night and a concussion from the day before, and waking you up would be like poking a sleeping bear.”