Excerpt

I was holding my diploma and I knew it should have been soaked with sweat coming from my left hand. I just received it earlier today but because I was in such a hurry, it never even crossed my mind to hand it over to one of my classmates.

I was already out of breath and any moment later, I knew I was going to pass out because of exhaustion from all the running I did. And to add to that, I was doing all of this in the middle of the day with all those people around me, going in every direction. I didn't even know how many of them I bumped into and I didn't actually even bother to look back.

But I still kept running as if I was chasing something..

Which I really was.

I was chasing time.

"...passengers of flight 372A to Paris. Please proceed to gate three immediately."

I stopped dead in my tracks after I heard the announcement over the speakers. But I only managed to make out 'Paris' because of the noise all around me.

I felt my heart thump faster, if it was still even possible, as I looked around, straining my ears to listen again for the announcement.

I stole a glance at my watch.

10:05 AM

Can I really make it in time?

"This is the final boarding call for passengers of flight 372A to Paris. Please proceed to gate three immediately," I heard it again and that's when it finally hit me.

I was now in the departure area.

I searched right away for Gate 3 and after a few seconds, I spotted it. I almost tripped as I ran quickly to its direction. I saw some passengers bid their last farewells to their loved ones and headed for the gate's entrance.

In that instant, I prayed for time to slow down. Even for just a moment.

I stopped running after I reached a couple of benches in front of the gate and hastily looked for a familiar face.

Oh God. Please be there. Please be there.

Just a little more and I'll eventually see the person who held the biggest part of my heart.

Just a little bit more and I'll be setting my eyes on his face again.

Just a little more and I can say again what I truly felt for him.

Just a little more...

My breath hitched as soon as I laid my eyes on a guy whose back was facing me.

He was talking to a guard as he walked toward the entrance.

I clenched my fist, crumpling my diploma. Even my chest felt tight as many emotions began to swell inside me.

I called his name. Or should I say, I shouted it. I really didn't know because I couldn't even hear my own voice anymore.

Well, that didn't matter because the second I closed my mouth, his head snapped to my direction and I swear that the time stopped as our eyes met.

It felt like I was watching a slow motion movie as I watched how his expression changed from surprise to confusion.

He stopped walking and faced me. "Hiyo?"