FIFTEEN: NO REPRIEVE

In the dark hallway outside of the room, with only the barest hints of sunlight seeping in from upstairs, Chiron and Pollux whispered fervently to each other in hushed voices.

    "She hasn't improved," The elder of the two said. "It's been months and her condition has done nothing but worsen."

    Pollux's mouth pulled into a frown. "I leave for college tomorrow, Chiron. I feel so guilty about leaving her before she's better, but I already put off summer classes so I could help take care of her. I gotta go."

    "I know, child. I know." The centaur put a hand on Pollux's shoulder.

    "Is it okay if I go sit with her for a while?" Pollux asked. "This might be the last time I can see her for a while, at least while she's still awake and conscious."

    Nodding, Chiron replied, "Of course. Just be careful not to agitate her."

     "I think I know how to take care of my sister." Pollux said bitterly.

    The boy shut the door to the little room behind him, cringing when the hinges squeaked. He quickly looked to the bed in the far corner and made sure that she hadn't moved as he tiptoed to the chair beside the bed.

    "Hey, Al." He murmured, gently brushing her tangled blonde hair away from her face.

    Althea's eyes, while open and wide, were staring blankly at the ceiling, their usual violet color murky and lighter, almost a lavender color. Her friends had done their best to maintain her appearance and hygiene, but during her violent phase several weeks ago, it was dangerous enough to even be near her, let alone with something that could be used as a weapon.

    In the end they had all held her down and cut almost a foot off of her hair, removing all of matted clumps they could. None of them wanted to be around when she came to and realized that her hair was gone.

    "I had a dream about you last night," Pollux began, smiling half-heartedly. "Dad was there. He seemed worried." He gnawed on his lip fervently.

    The silence he received from Althea was not reassuring in the slightest.

    "Anyway, since I'm going back to Columbia in the morning, Maddie's in charge of the boys. She's a nervous wreck about the whole thing, says she doesn't want the responsibility." Pollux continued, looking away from his sister as tears brimmed in his eyes.

    He put his head in his hands. "We can't do this without you, Al. Maddie can't raise two kids on her own—Gods, I can't even raise them with Maddie's help." He sniffled and wiped at his eyes. "I know you hate when we joke about how you're like their mom but you are. Nothing is the same anymore."

    "I know you're still in there, and if you can hear me, please. Come back to us."

🍇

    Henry was on his third temper tantrum of the day, and Maddie was just about at her wit's end. The little boy was refusing to get bathed before bed and, on the verge of tears, Maddie's patience finally broke.

    "Jesus! Fine! Henry, you sit on this bed and don't move a muscle, okay? I'll be back." She snapped.

    The slam of Cabin 12's door echoed around the ring of cabins, and everyone who was basking in the last rays of the day's sun looked up to see Maddie storming across the grass.

    Percy, who had been talking to Katie Gardener from the Demeter cabin, also looked up.

    "Oh, hey, Maddie. What's up?" Percy asked as casually as possible upon seeing the angry look on her face.