NINE: THE ALTAR

Lizzie was the first to stop, putting her hands on her knees as she wiped sweat from her forehead.

The three demigods had run over three miles, and they had only paused for a second, about a quarter-mile in, so Althea could scoop up Arthur the cat and place him securely in the pocket of her windbreaker, for he was slowing the group down with his short little legs.

"Can we—can we take a break?" Lizzie panted and leaned against a tree. "I need some water, and something to eat."

Althea sighed, sitting cross-legged on the ground, and pulled Arthur out of her pocket. The cat immediately crawled into her lap and curled up on her thigh.

"You're right, we should eat." Percy said. He plopped down next to Althea and rooted through his backpack, pulling out a few slightly smushed plastic-wrapped sandwiches he must have prepared before leaving camp.

Compared to the meal they'd had at Semele's, the peanut-butter sandwiches were lackluster at best, and completely disappointing at worst. Althea found herself having to choke the unfortunate food down with a grimmace.

"So," The blonde began with a thick voice, taking a swig of Percy's water. "How far do you think we are from the center of the island?" She asked.

Percy closed his eyes in concentration. When he opened them, his irises were a stormy green. "The water is about seven miles to the south," He gestured in the direction in which they'd come. "And, like, ten miles to the north, east, and west." He finished.

"So we're almost there." Althea gathered with a nod.

She sighed, feeling exhausted, not just physically but also emotionally. She longed for the peaceful routine of Camp Half Blood, with its set schedule and the homeliness she felt there.

Arthur the cat was still nestled on her thigh, purring in his sleep. He was just as tired as Althea, it seemed.

Althea felt her eyelids start to droop with fatigue, and her companions noticed her weariness.

"Thea, come on, take a break." Percy said quietly. "You need to rest."

She shook her head. "No, we're almost done, I can stay awake until we get home." Even as she said that, she was yawning, and she finally let the drowsiness take over, putting her head in Percy's lap. Arthur crawled from her thigh to her stomach, where he flopped down and fell asleep.

"And don't call me Thea," She mumbled sleepily before dozing off.

🍇

Lizzie woke Althea half an hour later, and the blonde jolted up, reaching for her scabbard. Arthur the cat went tumbling from her stomach with an upset mewl.

"What time is it?" Althea asked. Through the trees, she could still see the moon in the sky above her, so she knew she hadn't slept for too long, but nevertheless, there was panic in her chest, and she worried they were running out of time.

Lizzie checked her watch. "Just after four. We have about two hours 'til sunrise. Don't worry, we have time." She explained quietly.

Althea nodded. She stood, brushing dirt from the back of her legs, and scooped Arthur up from where he sat on the ground. She pocketed the cat, and his lustrous eyes were bright in the moonlight.

Her gaze shifted to her shoulder, and she moved the torn fabric of her windbreaker and shirt aside to look at the bite marks.

Like Lizzie said, the wound was already almost closed, and while there was scar tissue forming around the punctures, it was healing nicely, and it didn't even hurt. Althea was thankful for that, for she knew pain would slow her down if she had to fight anytime soon.