Chapter 9

Drarry chapter 9

"You wanna go somewhere?"

Harry did a double-take at those words. Did Draco want to… hang out with him?

"And where exactly do you have in mind?" 

"I dunno, the kitchen? Maybe the potions closet?" Draco pondered with a small smile, reaching a hand out to Harry from the ground. Harry recalled a time during the sixth year when a craze went around the school of stealing alcohol from the potions closets, as many of their potions courses involved assorted alcohols. Of course, in a magical school and a bunch of experimental teens, it all got out of hand pretty fast and ended in two kids in medical and a school-wide ban on magical alcohols. Muggle alcohols were far less strong, so nobody was too interested in stealing those anyway.

Harry swallowed at the memories.

"What, are you scared, Potter?" Draco grinned, and Harry pulled him up from the cold ground with a glare. Their eyes connected, sharing a vague memory, but neither seemed to acknowledge it.

Harry snorted, his hand lingering in Draco's for just a second too long. He turned around and stretched, walking around in small circles to shake away the fuzzy feeling in his feet. They had been still for so long, but Harry hadn't bothered moving them.

"Not scared, just… cautious."

"Ok but really, when was the last time you've done something risky? For fun, I mean…" Draco mumbled that last part. Harry looked back at Draco. He was looking down at his hands, picking at nail polish that has been mostly chipped off. He suddenly looked smaller, shoulders slouching and subtly avoiding Harry's gaze. If Harry didn't know any better, he would say Malfoy was almost.. vulnerable.

"I mean, it's not like one break of curfew will hurt, right?" Draco smiled and glanced at Harry from under his shaggy bangs.

Harry turned around.

"You know what, you're right," Harry said firmly. Draco looked up at Harry through his eyelashes, eyes glinting with mischief.

"Let's go steal some shimmering ale from the teacher's lounge."

-

"Creeeeak.."

The two boys cringed at the loud noise that echoed off the giant walls of the teacher's lounge. Their laughs came bubbling out of their chests and were quickly muffled behind their hands, faces lit dimly from the light at the end of Harry's wand. They slid through the crack between the door and the doorframe, one by one, careful to not awaken any teachers or prying ghosts. Occasionally they would make eye contact, but it was just for short moments before their eyes flicked away, glancing down halls and around corners warily to avoid making eye contact.

They slid down the hall in colour-coded socks, stumbling aimlessly and turning corners at racing speeds. Harry laughed, barely trying to hide his enjoyment anymore as he breathed in the musty smell of an old corridor that obviously had not been used since the… war…

Nope! No depressing thoughts. Only happy.

Harry slipped backwards slightly after a risky turn and just barely caught onto Malfoy's shirt at the last minute before falling, butt-first, into the ground. His laugh echoed off the high ceilings and down the halls before a cold hand slapped across his mouth to muffle the giggles erupting from inside of him.

The world was spinning in an orchestra of joy, happiness flooding into his life for the first time in over a year. The laughing had stopped and the hand, discovered to be Draco’s, was removed from his face. But the smile stuck like plaster, Harry was breathless. There was a hand in front of him that he happily took it, and as he stood up it was just a little shaky. Harry saw stars after standing up.

But the orchestra was changing, slowing down until it came to a full stop. There was the sound of a tap dripping in a nearby bathroom, and Harry swore he could hear his own heartbeat pounding. Draco came close, so close that Harry could smell the alcohol on his breath and damn was it getting hot in here?

"Damn, maybe don't drink so much of that ale next time, you look like a stunned mullet" Draco said with a high-pitched chuckle as if he'd just seen a cat fall off a bench.

"Hey, you were the one who suggested the alcohol!" Harry whisper-yelled back. "Hey, maybe if you weren't such a rebel we wouldn't be in this mess"

"Me? A rebel? No sir!" Draco joked sarcastically. Harry just laughed and leaned against Draco's shoulder and put his weight on him.

"No I'm serious!! You tricked me into.." Harry giggled into Draco's shirt. " You tricked me into coming out here and getting drunk but we're gonna get in trouble! My perfect record!!"

Draco scoffed with a laugh.

"Perfect record? Please tell me that's not the case.."

"What do you mean, I'm the golden boy! Clean as a whistle, my record is! "

"Pfft okay, how about the countless times you went off campus to Hagrid's shack with your friends, or out into the halls at night? And what about that secret nighttime training thing?"

"Ohh.." Harry exhaled slowly. "Yeah no I guess they count towards my.. record.."

Harry pretty much had his entire body weight leaning on Draco by that point. Just before Draco was about to make a snarky remark about how heavy Harry was, he realised that Harry was asleep.

"Oh f*ck.."

Harry's head rested on Draco's shoulder, just having lost consciousness. Draco couldn't help but linger his gaze on Harry's fluttering eyelashes for just a second too long, or his faint freckles that hid behind the frames of his glasses. And Draco has never really noticed how the scar looked up-close against Harry's perfectly tanned skin, or how his dark bangs brushed gently across his-

Nope. That's weird.

Draco sighed and stretched his arm fully around Harry's shoulders, easily reaching down with his other arm to grab Harry's legs and carry him, bridal style all the way back to the dorm. Drunk and tired and checks still hurting from smiling too much.

Draco stumbled back into the common room and almost dropped Harry down the stairs twice. If there was any chance that someone heard them making noise before, people definitely heard all the noise Draco was making stomping up the steps, swearing not-so-quietly whenever his grip on Harry slipped, and the small shriek he let out when their room door was opened and Blaise emerged from the darkness like a ghost.

"What.. the absolute fuck.. are you doing at tHIS TIME OF NIGHT!!"

---------

Please forgive me, it's been so long 😔😔. I've been really caught up with moving schools and working on other projects that I haven't put much time into this story recently, but I promise to get back into it really soon.

So expect a couple new chapters while I'm on holidays, and recommendations and tips are always welcome~

Wear a mask everybody <3