01

☆

THE SUMMER OF 1994, HAD BEEN QUITE EVENTFUL for Clover Carstairs and although August had rolled around- the madness had yet to cease. The girl had practically spent the entirety of the summer with her closest friends and their fun wasn't over just yet as the Quidditch World Cup seemed to creep closer. The girl was now at her home in Wiltshire, standing in her childhood bedroom over her trunk as she packed away her clothes and school uniform. Clover roughly had another hour until Cedric was due to arrive and the girl was criminally unprepared.

Clover had met first Cedric Diggory on the train, during their journey to Hogwarts in first year. The two hit it off immediately and began talking but after a mere five minutes of sitting together, another girl joined them. The girl had to hide her surprise when Juliette Garrows entered the carriage, for Juliette had been the first young witch Clover had ever spoken to. The girls had quite literally bumped into each other, knocking one another to the floor of Diagon Alley during the Summer, and after the two profusely apologised to each other, they went their separate ways.

The three were quick to become friends, and after they'd miraculously all been sorted into Hufflepuff, their friendship held strong. However, the three soon became four within a day after they arrived at the castle when Cedric introduced the girls to his roommate, Hugo, who at the time was a rather quiet, reserved boy. The two girls welcomed the boy into their group with open arms and from that moment, the four formed an unbreakable friendship.

"Where exactly are you going?" A voice spoke up, forcing Clover to snap out of her nostalgic thoughts and to whip her head towards her mother, who was standing in the frame of her bedroom door.

"Cedric's." The girl answered, "You met him a few weeks ago when he and his father came by with my quidditch ticket?" The girl's mother scrunched her nose in confusion. It was safe to say that the woman wasn't entirely up to speed with her daughter's wizarding lingo. Upon seeing her mother's expression, Clover pointed to the quidditch poster above her bed.

"Quidditch is that sport played on broomsticks." Clover explained, for what had to be the millionth time. The girl felt bad that her frustration leaked through her words, knowing that her mother couldn't help her lack of wizarding world knowledge.

"Oh..." her mother replied sheepishly, her arms folding as Clover went back to packing her bag. "When are you coming back?"

"I'm staying at Ced's until school starts again, so probably Christmas." The girl answered, using her fingers to count off the things she needed, Clover looked up to see a look of concern plastered across her mother's face causing the girl to flash the woman a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, mum, I'll write every week, I promise!"

"And the owl..." her mother trailed off, pointing towards Herold, (Clover's owl), as it sat in its cage.

"It'll bring you my letters like usual, all you have to do is untie the letter, feed him some treats and attach your reply, see, it's easy!" Clover spoke, closing her trunk with a small bang as she brushed off her hands.